• GP40-MC Overhaul

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

by CRail

Point of clarification: The MBTA is a division of MassDOT, so regardless of whether the engine is blue or purple, it's MassDOT property.
  by Commuterrail1050

Does that apply to all locomotives or just the ones stored in Rochester?
  by Red Wing

MASSDOT is a subsidiary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as an Executive Office under it's umbrella anything that deals with transportation (well except many of the parkways around Boston but we aren't going there).
MBTA is an Authority that runs public transit like many of the other Regional Transportation Authorities. In the Scheme of things the MBTA is a subsidiary of MASSDOT which is a subsidiary or the Executive Office (the Governor) so with that being said anything owned by any department or authority under MassDot is owned by MassDOT.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

The 1137 was scheduled to go on a test run out of Rochester shops this morning 3/4. Crew was called for 9:30am
  by mbrproductions

I know this was a month ago, but here is said run on a YouTube video, sounds like its got a raised letter K5LA similar to the ones on the HSP46s and F40PH-3Cs, I hope the original tone on the GP40MC K5LAs doesn't go extinct, I really liked the sound of them better than any other on the fleet.
  by JacobKoppel

MBTA 1135 it's completed from its in house overhaul. LED lights and E bell.
  by mbrproductions

Yup, here's an engineer's video of himself taking a walk around it before taking it to Fitchburg, since this one is an in-house, I hope it came out good;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKCd6qORapY
  by Commuterrail1050

At that time 1120 was getting rebuilt, 1126 was a test unit to see if led lights worked well on older power. Since they liked it, rebuilds going forward that started with 1139 are getting retrofitted with led lights and ebell which means almost everything will be an ebell galore.
  by mbrproductions

Dang, well, anything to keep them running as long as possible (I know i'm in the minority because lots of guys here hate the GP40MCs because of all the problems they caused with their microprocessors when they first came here)
  by mbrproductions

Once the overhauls are completed, will the GP40MCs be returning to the south side or will they be roaming on the north side for the rest of their days?
  by Commuterrail1050

As far as I know they are staying up north. Who knows if they’ll ever lead down south again. Even though 1119 is listed as being down south, it’s the readville switcher.
  by CRail

How far do you know?
  by Commuterrail1050

Idk what you mean by that. For now they are staying up north. The only time I see them coming down south is to lead the capeflyer and if 1137 comes into service before then, at that point I see 1136-7 leading each end of the flyer. Until then, I see them operating on the north side. Idk how else to explain that to you Crail.
  by CRail

You made a statement claiming what is going to happen disclaiming that that's "as far as [you] know." My question was, "How far do you know?" What I'm asking is what is the basis for your claim. Is it a guess based on your observation? Do you have any information on the matter? You said "as far as I know," how far do you know?
  by Commuterrail1050

My claims are based off of both observation and what I hear from others. As of right now, they have them up north because they are unreliable and slow to get up to speed compared to the newer units. Don’t want to get into that much details because that’s not what the thread is about. Like I said, the only times I’ve seen them come south now and days is to lead the capeflyer. It would be nice if they came south to lead on revenue trains, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.