Railroad Forums 

• GP-38 question

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #82910  by tushykushy

Sounds like a weird question to be asking (not clear as to whether this was addressed at an earlier point.)

Since 261 and 268 were overhauled in years past, and 270/271 not being regeard, how do they respond when they are MU'ed together? Won't one being pushing/pulling more than the other one?

#82945  by DutchRailnut

no just like if a pony were to be put into a span of clydesdalers the pony would just do what ever is asked off him.
same with locomotives if you demand 60% power both will give 60% power regardless of speed.

#82951  by tushykushy

Thanks for the clear up, Dutchrailnut.

#82989  by Jayjay1213

Just to add what Dutch said, the 261 268 load twice as fast though then the 270 271.

#83062  by Knife-Switch

So why does that give me an image of a pony being trampled under the hooves of a team of Clydesdales and dragged lifelessly behind the Bud Wagon. Wiiiillllbbbuurrrr!!!!!

PS: Never say you're hung like a Budweiser Clydesdale....they're all geldings

#83217  by jayrmli

The pony however, would not give constant ground relay, hot engine and other annoying problems that now plague these engines.

Jay

#83442  by b&p rupture

So what's the best running engine NYAR has? and what is it's rating on a scale of 1 to 10?

#83592  by Knife-Switch

Jay,

You mean all those pretty colored lights lighting up the inside of the GP-38s each night aren't Christmas Decorations?????

#84770  by jayrmli

Nope, and the bells aren't you hitting the Jackpot at Foxwoods either!

270 is the best engine they have.

Jay

#84795  by Knife-Switch

Nice Jay,

You know you've just given the 270 "the Kiss of Death"

And for all you rail fans out there who appreciate the recent long hood runs of the GP-38's, they are not b/c we are offering exciting photo opportunities, its b/c even when ENG probs such as non functioning sanders, wipers, traction motors and ASC reduce us to going out with only one properly functioning ENG, we have to swap ENGS in sidings and return with the functioning ENG in lead.

Here's a GP question...How many have cut out traction motors????
268.....271.....any others?

So hmmm if you MU the 268 & 271, does that make one GP 38?

#85035  by tushykushy

Yeah... what is with the 155's marker lights being out? I remember your solution having something to do with fuses.... or maybe it was just me.

Aren't 270's wheels cut so far that pretty soon you'll just be riding on the axels? :P

#92169  by SeldenJrFireman

I have a question- Are the NYA GP38's Generation 1 or 2?

#92309  by lirrmike

All the exLIRR GP38s are dash2, meaning GP38-2s.

Mike

#92325  by Long island Joe

I Like To See NYA Get More GP38s