Railroad Forums 

• GMTX GP38 #2081 in Pond?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1175707  by tj48

Can't wait to hear that dynamic brake whining on the downgrade from Deer Park and Wyandanch..... :)
 #1176942  by Train2009

#2199 arrived into CSX's Croton West Yard last night and it was seen sitting.
Last edited by Train2009 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1176946  by gregorygrice

Train2009 wrote:#2081 arrived into CSX's Croton West Yard last night and it was seen sitting.
You mean #2199. Just got my photos of it in the yard (I live right next door) and let me tell you that thing is one big piece of sh*t. Hope you guys like it! I will be sure to let you guys know if it heads down tonight, but unless they cut the plows for third rail tonight, it's not going anywhere. Don't know why they didn't do it at Selkirk before it came down.
Attachments:
GMTX 2199 @ Croton West Yard
GMTX 2199 @ Croton West Yard
P1190184 - Copy.JPG (290.74 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
 #1176958  by dedm30junk

I see the front plow has masting tape for the parts of the plow that has to be cut off for clearance of the 3rd rail.Looks like the engine been patched up alot in all areas.
 #1176965  by Ðauntless

How do you know its crap by looking at it? Paint does not make an engine run better.
 #1176969  by gregorygrice

Ðauntless wrote:How do you know its crap by looking at it? Paint does not make an engine run better.
Just saying paint wise. The thing probably runs extremely well.

As a heads up, the loco will not be going out today. They couldn't get anyone to cut the plows. Expect it to head out on Q431 anywhere between tomorrow night and Friday night.
 #1176975  by RRJS3

What's the reason for the trip down to Croxton? Can the necessary modifications not be made up in Selkirk or in Pond?

Could be wrong, but I believe I remember the 2081 winding up in Jersey as well in the days before it arrived.
 #1176976  by gregorygrice

RRJS3 wrote:What's the reason for the trip down to Croxton? Can the necessary modifications not be made up in Selkirk or in Pond?

Could be wrong, but I believe I remember the 2081 winding up in Jersey as well in the days before it arrived.
Q431 goes from Selkirk to Oak Point and stops at Croton something. No where near Croxton.
 #1176987  by tj48

Are the horns and the filter box on top of the long hood going to be a problem? The LIRR/NYA GP38-2's had the top of those boxes angled for clearance reasons.
 #1176995  by gregorygrice

tj48 wrote:Are the horns and the filter box on top of the long hood going to be a problem? The LIRR/NYA GP38-2's had the top of those boxes angled for clearance reasons.
Good question that horn is pretty high up. All I know is those plows need to be cut.
Attachments:
P1190166.JPG
P1190166.JPG (396.2 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
 #1177005  by Backshophoss

Suprized CSX didn't mod the plow pilot at Selkirk,the horn height can be fixed by NY+A at their shop,unless a bridge does the honors
enroute. ;)
Capped stacks,so 2199 is dead in tow to NY+A.
 #1177038  by Clear Of BH

nyandw wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:Good question that horn is pretty high up. All I know is those plows need to be cut.
What is the horn type on this unit? Thanks.
Nathan Airchime (now Micro Precision) K5LAR24.
Last edited by Clear Of BH on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.