Railroad Forums 

• Ghost Interurbans and Trolley lines.

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#682148  by plowboy1970

CarterB wrote:Anyone know if the A, B and C markers on the map below are part of the old T.M.E.&L.Rwy line to Burlington, Wi?
Also, any other traces of the Milw Electric Burlington line?

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.68982,-88 ... ngton%20WI

A,B, and C are part of the electric railway to Burlington. It is now a bike path. There really is nothing left of the railroad. The old depot is still there. It is now the Burlington Standard Press building.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UT ... ab=wl&um=1

I live in Burlington so anything else you want to ask, just do.

Will
 #682149  by plowboy1970

CarterB wrote:Anyone know if the A, B and C markers on the map below are part of the old T.M.E.&L.Rwy line to Burlington, Wi?
Also, any other traces of the Milw Electric Burlington line?

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.68982,-88 ... ngton%20WI

A,B, and C are part of the electric railway to Burlington. It is now a bike path. There really is nothing left of the railroad. The old depot is still there. It is now the Burlington Standard Press building.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UT ... ab=wl&um=1

I live in Burlington so anything else you want to ask, just do.

Will
 #682179  by RedLantern

I'm not exactly sure of the name of the line, but I've heard it referred to as the Stony Brook Electric Railway in Westford MA. I grew up about 400 feet from the right of way. The tracks were torn up in the 1920s but the right of way is still intact (thanks to power lines and a water main) from where they split off what is now Route 40 to the end of Beacon Street in the Graniteville section of Westford. It then went down North street to the site of the old B&M station where it went alongside the B&M Stony Brook branch to Ayer where I've been told it ended at the current station area since the B&M wouldn't let them cross the Hollis branch. There are still bridge abutments for a bridge on Nutting Road in Westford (apparently the bridge lasted until the '70s) as well as bridge abutments where the Nashua Acton & Boston crossed over it and the B&M Stony Brook branch.
 #682332  by plowboy1970

RedLantern wrote:I'm not exactly sure of the name of the line, but I've heard it referred to as the Stony Brook Electric Railway in Westford MA. I grew up about 400 feet from the right of way. The tracks were torn up in the 1920s but the right of way is still intact (thanks to power lines and a water main) from where they split off what is now Route 40 to the end of Beacon Street in the Graniteville section of Westford. It then went down North street to the site of the old B&M station where it went alongside the B&M Stony Brook branch to Ayer where I've been told it ended at the current station area since the B&M wouldn't let them cross the Hollis branch. There are still bridge abutments for a bridge on Nutting Road in Westford (apparently the bridge lasted until the '70s) as well as bridge abutments where the Nashua Acton & Boston crossed over it and the B&M Stony Brook branch.

Looked around for you. The name was, Stony Brook Valley Street Railway Company. Here is a burp of info I found.

The Stony Brook Valley Street Railway Company applied for permission from the town government to construct a
trolley system through town in 1901, and its service to outlying areas also contributed to decreased settlement
density. The route opened in 1907 and took travelers from the Groton town line at Forge Village toward
Chelmsford along Lowell Road. A spur went from Graniteville up River Street to the Center where it stopped near
the corner of Main and Depot Streets. The electric trolley received current from wires strung overhead. It provided
service until 1921 but most physical evidence of this early mass transportation system was removed in the 1930s.
No rail-related structures survive in the Center but the streetcars were responsible for providing access to the
services located there, such as the J. V. Fletcher Library (1897), schools and social gatherings. This access allowed
the Center to continue as the civic focus of town into the twentieth century.

Here is the web site I got it from. Not much else for info on the railroad.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:j2_ ... clnk&gl=us

Will
 #730554  by william powers

in and around Louisville KY much of the right of way is still evident for the interurban line out to Prospect KY along the river.. One of the stations is a post office and a train canopy still stands out along this riverbluff line which was abandoned prior to 1935. The line to Indianapolis was part of the extensive Indiana system of interurban transportation which crossed the Big Four Bridge and than ran largely parallel to the PRR main line to Indianapolis.. In KY cardinal days one could still make out the grade easment for segments of that line abandoned about 1940 The Big Four Bridge is destined to become a pedestrian walkway as part of the Louisville Ohio Riverfront Park.
 #764025  by 3rdrail

If you go out to @ 4877 Washington Street in West Roxbury, you'll see the old Cottage Ave. Loop for outbound Arborway Division Trackless Trolleys on the Dedham Line Route which wished to loop and head back inbound. The crescent shaped roadway is set off outbound Washington St. and has a small variety store near its exit. Trolleys and trackless trolleys that used this line at this point would have just climbed Bellevue Hill, the highest point in the City of Boston. Also, the reason that outer Washington Street is so wide is that trolleys had their own median in the middle of the street at one time with cars coming into Forest Hills from various company's from numerous south of Boston towns.
 #793405  by Mr rt

In Queens, NY there is a small piece of a private ROW still left that was part of the NY&QC.
Most of it became a road over the Grand Central Parkway 149th ?
 #1006405  by JAP

Claremont Railway and Lighting company in Claremont NH. Car Barn #1 still standing on Layfayette St. 1903. Also the electric plant behind the car bar is still there.