Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

I'd appreciate any advice on the subject. I'm going to New York from Portland Maine, and I was wondering if taking the Metro North Train from New Haven to NYC would be a viable alternative to traveling a combination of bus and AMTRAK via Boston. (It's about a 4 hour drive from Portland to New Haven).

I'm open to any other suggestions that veteran traveler might have on the subject.
  by mkm4

scoopernicus_in_Maine wrote:I'd appreciate any advice on the subject. I'm going to New York from Portland Maine, and I was wondering if taking the Metro North Train from New Haven to NYC would be a viable alternative to traveling a combination of bus and AMTRAK via Boston. (It's about a 4 hour drive from Portland to New Haven).

I'm open to any other suggestions that veteran traveler might have on the subject.
If you don't mind the drive, I don't see why not.

by bingdude

As long as there is parking. I can't say about New Haven, but further in many of the stations (such as New Rochelle) have tons of parking but require permits form the town...even to use the metered parking.

I'm curious as to why don't you just take the Down Easter to North Station, take the T to Back Bay, and continue on Amtrak? I can't see how it's any more aggrivating than the bus. Or the traffic on I-95, plus the $50 ticket for parking without a meter permit.

You didn't say how long you were staying in NY. If it's overnight then two parking tickets.

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

I'm curious as to why don't you just take the Down Easter to North Station, take the T to Back Bay, and continue on Amtrak? I can't see how it's any more aggrivating than the bus. Or the traffic on I-95, plus the $50 ticket for parking without a meter permit.
My first choice would be to take the Downeaster (or the bus) and connect to AMTRAK at South Station, but it's very expensive, and the schedule's aren't especially convenient to our time table (We're going down on a Friday and returning on Sunday). My estimates are that It'd be between $150 and $200 cheaper to drive to New Haven than to ride the train all the way.

(The New Haven Parking garage is only $8.00 a day to park, which is quite resonable.)
Last edited by scoopernicus_in_Maine on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

by RailBus63

I've driven to New Haven from Boston and taken the Metro-North - I'd highly recommend it. Parking is reasonable and safe, and the trains run once an hour at all times (more often during peak periods). Much more cost-effective than taking Amtrak out of Boston.

Jim

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

I've driven to New Haven from Boston and taken the Metro-North - I'd highly recommend it. Parking is reasonable and safe, and the trains run once an hour at all times (more often during peak periods). Much more cost-effective than taking Amtrak out of Boston.
Thanks, that's what I'd hoped to hear. Are there luggage racks above the seats? Not that I'm planning to take a lot for a weekend trip, but It'd be good to have a place to stow a small suit case.

I appologize for the banality of the my questions. :wink:

by Dieter

Scoop,

Do you want to ride Metro North for the railfanning experience of it or what? If that's the case do it. If you're trying to save money, it's probably cheaper for you to do it by Amtrak all the way. That will also spare you the headache of switching trains.

Driving will always be cheaper, unfortunately, but then there's the cost of parking in Manhattan, which can be a killer.

The only thing you can get on Metro North which you can't on Amtrak unless you look out the little window in the rear door, is a view down the tracks while in motion. On the New Haven, you can see out the front window, which you can't do anywhere else. With the advent of newer equipment in the next year or two, this novelty is soon to be a thing of the past.

If you do take Metro North into New York City from New Haven, make sure you have a video camera along for the "Cab Ride".

Yes, there are luggage racks on MN.

Dieter.

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

Do you want to ride Metro North for the railfanning experience of it or what?
WE are mainly going down to visit friends and see a show in NYC, but yeah, I was also hoping for the railfanning experience (don't tell my girlfriend; I'm pretty sure she'd NOT be amused if I tried to film the view!).

We've done AMTRAK to NYC several times in the past, but the price just seems prohibitivly expensive. Last year at this time I got two round trip tickets for $200, this year it's almost twice that.

I don't want to drive into Manhatten, so I was looking for a comprimise between shelling out big bucks for the convience of the train, and the tedium, but cost effectiveness of driving (and gas-wasting).

Parking at New Haven at only 8.00 a day, and the relatively low price of MTA trains seems a good comprimise, and a bonus for me, a chance to do some railfanning on the sly. :P

by Swedish Meatball

The Amtrak route on the Hellgate is better than going through MNRR Harlem line as far as scenery. I would want to drive as little as possible when traveling around 400 miles. Amtrak maybe alot more expensive but you will at least keep your sanity.

by JoeG

I'd suggest you take Amtrak to New Haven, then MN to Grand Central. You'll save something over the Amtrak fare from Boston to NYP, and you won't have to drive. I do agree that Hell Gate is more scenic, but that may not be important to you.

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

I'd suggest you take Amtrak to New Haven, then MN to Grand Central. You'll save something over the Amtrak fare from Boston to NYP, and you won't have to drive. I do agree that Hell Gate is more scenic, but that may not be important to you.
For this trip the main concerns are cost and scheduling. The AMTRAK train schedule just isn't convenient (especially the return schedule from NYC) for our time table.

Metro North from New Haven seems a viable alternative, leaving New York much more frequently, even if I have to endure a tedius 4 hour drive home.

I guess my basic question has been answered, as to whether or not New Haven was a reliable enough place to leave my car for a few days while I traveled into the city. I appreciate all responses.