Railroad Forums 

• Genuine Southern Pacific RR 54 Chevy truck needs home

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#179784  by lvrr325

In New York of all places.

My buddy has this old '54 or '55 First Series Chevy 2-ton truck with no cargo body on it. He got it for the '57 motor in it. The body is not too bad. I happened to notice that where the blue-grey paint is coming off, there were some decals on the doors. So I looked at them up close and recognized "Southern Pacific Lines" with the track going into the sunset in the middle. Because of the size and the condition, it has to be genuine. I was floored, to say the least. The grey might even be SP paint done when it was sold off, but who knows.

Anyhow, he was thinking about scrapping it. No one's been too interested, it takes up a lot of space, and scrap is up right now where he might get decent money for it.

Now if he does I'll try to keep the cab and nose from it - they make a kit now to put the '48-'54 Chevy cabs onto an S10 frame. I think it would make a neat hot rod, with some 1/2 ton front fenders on it - I wouldn't even repaint it, just clean up the decals and try to rub off more of the grey.

But I thought I should post on here somewhere and find out if any historical organization is interested in the truck. It's a very long single rear axle type, with dual wheels. There appears to be a hydraulic or PTO unit under the cab. Not sure what it may have had for a body in the back - too long for a dump truck. It's big enough and long enough a rollback type car carrier would fit on it and leave room for a sleeper ahead of it.

In the east it's near impossible to find real, vintage railroad trucks. Out west it may not be so, given that things rust a lot less. So it may or may not be rare.

Does anyone know where I could ask around about this?

Here's a couple photos from last winter - the doors are solid, the floors are good, there is some rust on the back seam of the cab, but it's really good given how cars rot in this state.

Thanks -
 #186911  by Komachi

lvrr325,

What's he asking for it? Have there been any other perspective buyers since you posted? Be a shame to see that thing go.

I'm not really a pickup kind of guy, more of a luxury car (Cadillac or Lincoln) kind of guy (although, I'm partial to AMC's Gremlin and Pacer). But those old Chevy trucks just have those classic lines and that stereotypical, "rural charm" that people associate with old farm trucks.

Still, is there a bed on it, or would someone have to fabricate a whole new flatbed/utility bed for it? Deffinately looks like it would need some major TLC to bring it back. And as much as I like hot rods, it would be a shame to cut up that thing to do so, would be better put to use as a museum piece or restored to some extent and put back to work.

Just my thoughts.

#190220  by lvrr325

He's asking $1500. No bed/body left, not sure what it was. Last run in Camden NY at a mine served by NYC/PC/CR though.

This truck was dark green I think until 1960, then painted orange - there is a stencil indicating it was painted in '60 on the firewall. No idea who put the V8 in it - ths came originally with a 261 CI 6-cylinder. I did a little research, it's quite long - 179" wheelbase if I remember right. You'd almost need a drop-frame trailer to haul it.

I have a possible deal to swap it to a guy I know who's down in Florida currently working with Gold Coast, for a truck he has. It may go to him, but other than that no real deals. I did get him to change his mind on junking it, but he could change it again - he's like that.

#190890  by CNJ

Hows the condition of the frame?

Doesn't look too bad from the pictures that were posted.