Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by checkthedoorlight

on the way to boarding my train this morning around 9:30, I noticed on the departure board that trains were leaving from tracks 101 and 117 right before my train to Stamford. They were in white, so I assume they were deadhead moves. I was under the impression that tracks 101 and 117 were no longer in use...are they back, like tracks 11 & 13 just came back?

by DutchRailnut

Anything listed on departure boards are revenue trains.
Deadheads only show on Employee monitors.
101 and 117 are both active tracks

by checkthedoorlight

It was on the depature board next to track 26. I was just wondering if 101 and 117 are being used for rush hour arrivals now (which would later leave as deadheads)? Last time one of my trains came into track 116, 117 didn't even look usable anymore.

I find it interesting that GCT has signs for tracks 31 and 113, despite the fact that 31 (and 22) were removed to build GCT North, and track 113 doesn't even have third rail or a switch connected to the hub anymore!
  by Terrapin Station

DutchRailnut wrote:Anything listed on departure boards are revenue trains.
Deadheads only show on Employee monitors.
101 and 117 are both active tracks
IIRC, and I go through there every day, 101 has a string on boxcars on it and 117 has a structure built over the tracks. So how are they active?

While we're on the topic, what is that old-looking railroad car beyond the ped bridge over track 102? I see it whenever my train comes in on track 102. Thanks.

by DutchRailnut

Ex NYC WW II troop sleeper converted to express boxcar.
It has been in Terminal from right after it was converted.
It has been used as office, computer paper storage and now again as storage.
I believe Danbury Railway museum has letter in to get it when its diposed.

by checkthedoorlight

Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I took another glance at the departure board again today:

1086 101 9:30
2789 117 9:31

2789 I presume is a deadhead to Croton, I'm not sure what 1086 means. I didn't think the MTA Police would look too favorbly on me taking a walk down to those platforms to see if something was stored there.

Is it possible that they are storing trains at the north end of these tracks, beyond the platforms? Or maybe some of the GCT yard tracks have been relabeled? Although I'm not sure why they'd lay up a train in a yard track if they're just going to send it out of GCT later on...

by Terminal Proceed

Both of those train numbers are deadhead equipment.

by DutchRailnut

your not looking at departure board but at one of crew monitors (not for passenger use)

by checkthedoorlight

yeah the monitor next to track 25. I didn't see the sign that says "don't look at me" on it.

by DutchRailnut

Did it say please use with directions ??
Sometimes things don't need to be posted to be obvious.

by MN Jim

But it's not a crime, or even a violation of regulations, for CUSTOMERS to look at those monitors, which are intended for the use of employees. If there were something about them that was sensitive or confidential, they would be placed in a non-public location.

What's obvious to many of us (but not all) is that they're not intended to be used by customers. What's not obvious, or even intended, is to prevent customers from looking at them. So there's no reason to throw attitude at him.

Jim

by checkthedoorlight

I'm sure that 99% of people who board and depart trains in GCT don't give those boards even a second glance. Most of the time I don't either, but 101 and 117 just jumped out at me when I noticed it the other day. The reason I started this thread was because I was wondering if these tracks were somehow back in service. I have since noticed that the marquee board for track 117 on the lower level is gone, although the frame is still there.

I didn't believe it at first when I saw tracks 11 and 13 showing up on the departure/arrival boards a couple weeks ago, but sure enough, those tracks have been cleaned up and put back into service as well. I'm tempted to railfan a M2 out of 11 or 13 up to 125, just for the new scenery.

by DutchRailnut

11 and 13 have been in service all this time, only reason it was out for few months was re-construction of elevator.

now if they could only eliminate track 15 were garbage trains are sitting, the rats at that track are bigger than cats.
They usualy have 1364 or a Danbury train there.

by checkthedoorlight

is track 14 still in use? I can't recall ever seeing a train on it. The platform between 15 and 14 is pretty scary.

by DutchRailnut

track 14 is were the actual garbage cars sit, its north of the freight elevators.