Railroad Forums 

• garbage trains

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #25280  by alcoc420

I often wonder why the NYA does not get much share of hauling the region's garbage. I tend to think that solid waste has the potential to be the biggest product shipped in terms of carloads. Think of all those 100 yard trailers you see every day on the LIE. Before the LIRR got out of the freight business, their freight department was very excited by the potential in shipping solid waste. For example, the Huntington facility is adjacent to the tracks, and only a short spur or siding would be needed. Any thoughts?

#25305  by DutchRailnut

unless those sidings and the garbage hauling is coordinated by certain Italian families the railroad has not a chance in hell to succeed.

#25311  by jayrmli

When the NYA was formed, there was much opposition to the railroad hauling MSW. This is the main reason protests were held to ban freight movements over the Garden-Mitchell Secondary. While legally the local residents do not have a say in messing with Interstate Commerce, NYA signed a 5 year moratorium agreement whereby they would not haul MSW.

In addition, the Borough of Queens passed a moratorium as well banning the movement of MSW by rail (which has since expired). This would have hampered movement over Hell Gate (and into Fresh Pond).

While these moratoriums have expired, GC-Mitchell is still out. There are plans in the future to move MSW (I will not comment on where so the NIMBYs don't start to mobilize), but these projects all take time to build, finance and overcome political opposition.

Jay

#25326  by DogBert

Waste Management's C&D traffic and whatever else csx picks up in the bronx makes the east of hudson service viable. without it it would be all loads in, all empties outbound...

There was once a smart idea in the city to make ll garbage trucks containerized, with those containers transfered to rail and barges and eleminating a lot of the stink of trash transfer facilities and or the wasted cash of driving the trucks to jersey. Why that plan never caught on (besides initial startup cost) is a little beyond me.

I hope MSW does get picked up, because a whole lot of those trucks drive through queens to get off the island. Seems like it would make a whole lot more sense to have as much of that move in one or two trains, instead of a fleet of dozens of trucks all day and night.

No one under hell gate seems to care about the C&D, doubt they'd care about any MSW... most people seem to think only amtrak uses the bridge anyway...