Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#688763  by NeoArashi

Hi. I would like to ask anyone if a trip from Hallifax to Vancouver by train would be worth it? I've loved train since I was 3 years old (I'll be 21 in 8 days)And my dream has always been to do that trip. I've went from Charny to Moncton 2 months ago, and I really loved it, even tho I was only in the comfort benches. (Actually, I would still take the comfort benches, even if it's going to take a long time to do that trip)

Anyways, do you think that if I ever get enough money to go from Quebec, to go to Hallifax then go to Vancouver and come back all the way to quebec city, would I waste my money? I'm especially asking people who have gone trough the Canadian.
 #688775  by NS VIA FAN

NeoArashi wrote:Hi. I would like to ask anyone if a trip from Hallifax to Vancouver by train would be worth it? I've loved train since I was 3 years old (I'll be 21 in 8 days)And my dream has always been to do that trip.......
Go for it……it will be a great trip. I did coast to coast in coach back in the ’70 and really enjoyed it. If you’re young, sitting up in coach for a couple of nights is no problem but I would still break the journey at mid-point for at least one night in a real bed.

I’ve done coach between Halifax and Montreal recently but it’s usually in sleeper now and also sleeper to Vancouver in "Silver & Blue Class" several times.......That can get a bit expensive but what a trip! So many people to meet and so much of Canada to see from the train. Today being July 1st and Canada Day, what better time to reflect on this!
 #689070  by jbvb

I've ridden the Canadian Vancouver - Toronto and the Ocean (and Atlantic Ltd., which shows how long ago that trip was) Montreal - Halifax. You'll see a lot of Canada. The spectacular scenery is from Edmonton to Vancouver; the rest of the way to Toronto has a few nice views and a lot of prairie (west of Winnipeg) and rock/bog/evergreens (east of Winnipeg). The food was quite good and the service pleasant. If any extra money is to hand, I would take at least a couple of breaks in interesting places (e.g. Toronto, if you've never visited). Use the web to find inexpensive hotels with access to public transit.

Oh, and I should say my "wanderjahr" trip was a two week Amtrak USARail Pass in fall 1976 (I was 20): Boston - Chicago (corridor/Broadway) - LA (SW Chief) - SFO (Coast Starlight & SP commuter from San Jose) - Seattle - Chicago (via Stampede Pass and the GN across Montana) - Springfield IL - Chicago - Charleston WV (Cardinal) - hitchiked to Cleveland - NYC (Lake Shore) - Philadelphia - Montreal (Montrealer) - NYC (Adirondack with Alco PA & dome) - Boston. 3 straight nights in coach on the way out did give me a cold, but I got over that during a couple of nights in a motel down at the end of the L Taraval trolley line in SFO. As you can see, I remember it vividly, but I've never again spent more than one night in coach.
 #701891  by jwhite07

I got over that during a couple of nights in a motel down at the end of the L Taraval trolley line in SFO.
A bit off topic I know, but Robert's At The Beach, yes? I stayed there once...