Railroad Forums 

• Freight Train Through Jenkintown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1061380  by AlexC

Moved to PA Railfan, but left ghost in SEPTA forum. -alex c
 #1061914  by Silverliner II

rslitman wrote:Around 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday night, June 27, while a passenger in a car on Philmont Avenue, I saw a freight train headed in the Philadelphia direction about to pass Somerton Station. Is this the same run in the other direction, although much earlier in the evening? And would it have had an odd train number instead of C746?
Yes, it keeps the C746 symbol for its entire run, both directions, regardless of if it runs via SEPTA or the NS/Stoney Creek branch.
 #1062969  by rslitman

AlexC wrote:Moved to PA Railfan, but left ghost in SEPTA forum. -alex c
I'm sorry if you consider this to be off-topic. I don't hang out in any forums here other than SEPTA/PATCO, so I won't be easily following up replies in the other forum. I thought when I originally posted this back in January that it would be on-topic because it was about the use of the tracks that I know of as SEPTA commuter tracks for other types of service. I decided to hunt down this same topic to post about the freight train I saw a couple of weeks ago, also on what I considered to be a passenger-mainly set of rails.
 #1113745  by RDGAndrew

C746 seems to be running awfully frequently of late - heard them every night this week, seemingly at different times. What's up with that? (not that I'm complaining, of course!)
 #1113859  by glennk419

RDGAndrew wrote:C746 seems to be running awfully frequently of late - heard them every night this week, seemingly at different times. What's up with that? (not that I'm complaining, of course!)
Could the trains that you've heard actually be the SEPTA wash/gel trains?
 #1115161  by RDGAndrew

I guess that's more likely than extra sections of the freight... I did hear the "shave and a haircut" on the horn one evening so maybe C746 was squeezed in between runs of the gel train.