Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1563483  by Pensyfan19

The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum jusy uploaded an in depth history of freight via the Long Island Railroad on nearly all branches (including some which I never knew had freight such as Long Beach and Oyster Bay).

Enjoy! :-D

#1563566  by commuterjoe

As a teenager in the 1960's I remember freight on the Long Beach branch. I had a job after school at the Whitehall Kitchens cabinet factory (siding was between the East Rockaway and Centre Avenue stations) unloading boxcars of wood for cabinets. There were also coal loaded hoppers for the Long Island Lighting power plant in Island park. The lead for the sidings there were just west of Long Beach Road. Good memories.
 #1563605  by newkirk

Farmingdale, before NY & Atlantic Rwy.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (January 1988)

#1563696  by Pensyfan19

I also remember there being a siding for a quarry between Setauket and Port Jeff which saw freight service at present-day Skyline Materials on comsewogue road until the 1980s. The siding has since been abandoned, and I'm not sure as to why [even though part of the track leading there can still be seen]. I'm also not sure as to why NYAR ended freight service to Port Jefferson in 2007, other than hearing something about freight cars becoming too heavy for the bridges and tracks between Northport and Port Jeff.
Lasltly, in the comment section of the video, I asked about freight operations on the Port Jefferson branch east of Kings Park, and I was told to go to trainsarefun.com, although I could not find anything specific other than what was listed on track maps for Port Jefferson. Does anyone happen to know some of the major industries served by the railroad between Smithtown and Port Jeff? I remember seeing a brick factory as one of the customers near the Port Jeff yard or wye, but I'm not sure if that's accurate.
 #1563760  by VaCentralRwy

I don't know when the "quarry" last shipped anything outbound but it was used as a "team track" for inbounds in the '80s. Salt was unloaded for local highway departments; one of the last big movements was bentonite used to line the Brookhaven Township landfill.
Into the early '80s, the feed supply across from the PJ station would receive bags of feed in ATW 40' boxcars.
 #1563777  by Teutobergerwald

Is that switch in Setauket still intact, should a local business or a municipality, such as the Towns of Smithtown or Brookhaven, request rail freight service, as in years past?
 #1563780  by freightguy

I think the switch for Suffolk* Setauket Materials is long gone. There was also a MP 55 freight switch which I believe is removed also. On old Hagstrom maps Setauket was listed as freight station. For a while the Setauket company was involved with the Sills Road group aka Brookhaven Rail Terminal. Bentonite and Stone have both been commodities at the terminal.
 #1563784  by nyandw

Pensyfan19 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:08 pm Lasltly, in the comment section of the video, I asked about freight operations on the Port Jefferson branch east of Kings Park, and I was told to go to trainsarefun.com, although I could not find anything specific other than what was listed on track maps for Port Jefferson. Does anyone happen to know some of the major industries served by the railroad between Smithtown and Port Jeff?
Are you referring to older pre-1966 industries? I have not posted the Emery maps c.1958 for this area, however:
If you go to to: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/portje ... branch.htm You have the LIRR 1966 maps.
Then go to the 1978 maps: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... Erlitz.pdf
You will note it is almost all gone. Check Setauket for example. Took me about a minute to find this. :-(
 #1563813  by krispy

There was a siding at Setauket, but now is a team track (east switch removed). Must have been fun making a passenger stop at the old station, as it lies in a valley, especially during leaf season.
 #1563860  by Pensyfan19

nyandw wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:28 am
Pensyfan19 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:08 pm Lasltly, in the comment section of the video, I asked about freight operations on the Port Jefferson branch east of Kings Park, and I was told to go to trainsarefun.com, although I could not find anything specific other than what was listed on track maps for Port Jefferson. Does anyone happen to know some of the major industries served by the railroad between Smithtown and Port Jeff?
Are you referring to older pre-1966 industries? I have not posted the Emery maps c.1958 for this area, however:
If you go to to: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/portje ... branch.htm You have the LIRR 1966 maps.
Then go to the 1978 maps: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... Erlitz.pdf
You will note it is almost all gone. Check Setauket for example. Took me about a minute to find this. :-(
I am aware of those pages and other related Port Jeff branch material on that great website. I was wondering about further information regarding some of the specific industries mentioned on the track maps which utilized freight service on the branch often.
Also, why was the grade crossing at suffolk materials in Setauket abandoned? Was it considered redundant since it was close to Hulse Rd?
 #1563861  by nyandw

Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:26 am
nyandw wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:28 am
I am aware of those pages and other related Port Jeff branch material on that great website. I was wondering about further information regarding some of the specific industries mentioned on the track maps which utilized freight service on the branch often.
You have run into the issue I have for the last several decades: Without switch lists, waybills, photos of the actual industries when active, other related documentation (as in CR4's in the past), etc. it is barren of material... :-(
 #1563959  by freightguy

Port Jeff was a busy branch with varied commodities even into the NYA era. Most in Huntington area. You had Gallo Wine, American Tissue(paper), lumber, Ideal Steel in St James. It was a busy branch with the RF/RS30 heading up there a few days a week for service or even the RS-80 at night.