Railroad Forums 

• Freight customers in Medford

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #140183  by Legio X

What customer is serviced by the spur at the Medford LIRR station, and how often?

#140200  by LIRRNOVA55

i think more then one may be served there? seems likethey change them everyother day or so ? centerbeams and boxcars. .

#140203  by Legio X

I recall seeing Chessie System (B&O), old Seaboard Coast Line and Seaboard System 50' gondolas there too. Who would those have been for?

#140208  by SeldenJrFireman

I believe Nassau/Suffolk Lumber is on the other side of the tracks, right by the station. I really don't know of anything else in the area that might use the spur

#140234  by DAWGPOUNDDAVE

The Business serviced there is Triangle Lumber and Building Supply. Also NYA will stage gondalas there for 2nd run out to Gershow in the middle of the night.

#140396  by mainline

Also Kamco and Accent Flooring. Kamco is moving to YA to unload in future.

#140479  by Legio X

Did'nt the LIRR stash gondolas there too? I seem to remember seeing CP Rail, Norfolk & Western and Penn Central (!) gondolas there before May 1997.

#142253  by de402

as of friday the 25th there were three box cars there. MOW better service that track, cause it looks pretty bad....

#144687  by Legio X

A most prescient post by DE402. Passing underneath on Rte. 112 at 1030 this morning I saw an NYA train stopped up above, a mixed bag of tankcars, boxcars, gondolas and a loaded centerbeam. I pulled into the station parking lot to watch what I believed was just a routine dropping off or picking up of a cut of cars....there was a cut of three boxcars coupled to a pair of Geeps. The last boxcar, a Railbox car, was derailed near the end of the spur, and the crew, with the assistance of someone in a Jeep Cherokee was trying to re-rail the car. There was also an old guy standing there, smoking, and watching the proceedings. I watched for a few minutes, but had to split, so I don't know how much longer it took to re-rail the car and get underway. Anybody else know what happened? DE402 was right on the money with the post preceding this one regarding this spur....

#145187  by jayrmli

The derailment had nothing to do with the condition of the track.

The customer (who will probably blame vandals) tried to roll the cars to spot the next one on the lead and rolled it too far.

Jay

#145405  by Long Island 7285

Who pays for the derailmet in the case you stated Jay.
is nya going to catch hell or the costomer?

I was by the sideing today 7-10 and there is a segment of the north rail missing then right at the bumper block there is a segment of the south rail missing, what is the reason for that? and before somthing bad really does happen LIRR better send a track gang out there to do some work.

#145579  by jayrmli

The bumper pulled the rail away from the rest of the track when the boxcar crashed into it.

I'm sure NYAR will pay for it. All it took was some blocks of wood.

Jay

#145598  by LIRRNOVA55

The all inportant Rerailers
and the trashed bumper

#166398  by Legio X

Has the spur been repaired, and is it still being frequently used?

#166411  by SeldenJrFireman

Yes, the bumper has been fixed for a while now. There is usually anywhere between 3 and five cars shoved in that siding at any given time.

Mike