Railroad Forums 

• Freight conductor salary

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1286108  by coryd55

I am applying for Freight conductor for both CSX and For Norfolk southern. Both companies say they pay well and they show pay scales. But since there is no set schedule it hard to figure out what a annual salary will be. What would be a ball park figure for an annual salary, once sonority is established, and what is the typical length of time it takes till you are at that level of pay?
 #1286381  by cockerhamsg

Impossible to say because of the amount of variables. That may be hard to understand from the outside looking in, but this isn't a normal job in any way. You can count on at least 30k if you aren't furloughed your first year, probably more but 30k is a safe number. Could be 50-60k your first year, its anyones guess because its all dependent on where you are, how much you mark off, the amount of work available, whether you're a yard or road guy, etc. Variables everywhere. That being said, you can gross 120k if you're in a busy terminal and stay out on the road. That isn't the norm, but its been done and will continue to be done. I can't even give you an average take home pay, every terminal is different. What the average would be for my terminal for the road will differ from the yard, and both will differ from the next terminal. Not the answer you want, but that is about as cut and dry as it gets. Hope that helps crack the code a little bit.
 #1286382  by cockerhamsg

Also, to achieve 100% with NS is I believe 5 years. 80% year one, 85% Y2, 90% Y3, 95% Y4, and 100% Y5. One of those steps may be a two year step, I can't remember for sure.
 #1286384  by cockerhamsg

Nevermind, found this:
Entry Rates:
After establishing seniority, train and engine service employees are subject to a 5-year rate progression,after which they will receive full rates. The rate progression is as outlined: 1st two years at 80% of full rate in class ofservice working, 3rd year at 85% of full rate in class of service working and 4th year at 90% of full rate in class of serviceworking. To progress to the next highest level in each step, employees must perform a minimum of eighty (80) tours ofduty during the preceding 365 calendar days (160 starts at 80% level).
 #1286509  by GE45tonner

cockerhamsg wrote:That being said, you can gross 120k if you're in a busy terminal and stay out on the road. That isn't the norm, but its been done and will continue to be done.
Is that for an engineer or conductor? I can see engineers making that much but I never knew freight conductors would make more 80k.
 #1286532  by COEN77

GE45tonner wrote:
cockerhamsg wrote:That being said, you can gross 120k if you're in a busy terminal and stay out on the road. That isn't the norm, but its been done and will continue to be done.
Is that for an engineer or conductor? I can see engineers making that much but I never knew freight conductors would make more 80k.
Depends on the job an on the individual. Higher milage run or one with lot's of OT plus running up on other jobs during the year. I knew quite a few conductors that were making $100,000-$120,000. A person who works just their assignment will average $65,000-$80,000 a year on just a basic milage run. When I worked Interdivisional runs at 234 miles it bumped it up to $80,000-$100,000. I didn't run up unless it was to my benefit but there are always "hogheads" making that extra $20,000+. I know "hoghead' is a term for locomotive engineers but these days with new hires having seniority in both crafts if they are cut back as conductors they bounce from one to the other while the crew dispatchers run the roster. It's not imposible to put an average but impracticle seeing it's always been about the individual and what they're willing to work.
 #1286580  by supernova1972

GE45tonner wrote:

At 100%, our RCO yard jobs pay almost $70k a year if you hold one. That no OT or double tickets. Road guys holding a pool or local can make $80k pretty easy.

That being said WAY too many variables and basically none of them you can control. Some terminals and yard just don't have great paying jobs, some have a lot of great paying jobs.
 #1287200  by train2

Some quick math: NS conductor at 80 percent is about 21.00 hour. At the minimum X 5 days X 52 weeks a year is 43680. BUT on NS you work on the extra board, 6 on, 2 off. You get 8 hours everytime you show up, but you will 50 percent of the time get more and a lot more. The percentage can be higher for when you get OT.

Every run is different, some pay mileage, some hours, and some hour jobs get OT everyday 6 days a week. I am for a mix, but on mileage you can work 3 trips and make what a yard guys gets for 5 days.

(And the yard guys I think work 5 days on, 2 off.)

On the road you get meals and detention pay if they keep you to long so things add up. Meal pay is poor but detention time is hourly rate to sit in hotel.
 #1288843  by jz441

You folks work for the wrong railroad... Where I work, the conductors extra board guarantee is $5600/half @ 100%. That's over 130K just to be available :)
 #1288938  by MichaelB86

jz441 wrote:You folks work for the wrong railroad... Where I work, the conductors extra board guarantee is $5600/half @ 100%. That's over 130K just to be available :)
$5600 a half!? I've since learned that there are two types of money: Railroad money, and Real World money. When you work the road you might surprise yourself and make $4,5 or even $6k a half. But what you take home is a totally different...and much more depressing story. lol
 #1289027  by matawanaberdeen

I have a friend that work for "shared Assets", and he told me the other day that the guarantee is $6,000 a month. I was tempted to apply again, and try again when he told me that. Does that sound right?
 #1289325  by supernova1972

jz441 wrote:You folks work for the wrong railroad... Where I work, the conductors extra board guarantee is $5600/half @ 100%. That's over 130K just to be available :)
What railroad is that? $2800 a week is way more than I've ever heard.
 #1289354  by COEN77

supernova1972 wrote:
A gaurentee is suppose to be calculated to fit whatever jobs it protects. High milage runs bigger the gaurentee.
 #1289463  by supernova1972

COEN77 wrote:
supernova1972 wrote:
A gaurentee is suppose to be calculated to fit whatever jobs it protects. High milage runs bigger the gaurentee.

Oh I understand, I've spent a lot of time on a guarantee extra board that covers some long pools. I've just never heard of one paying that good.
 #1290109  by jz441

supernova1972 wrote:What railroad is that? $2800 a week is way more than I've ever heard.
Former ATSF