Railroad Forums 

• Fred Diegtel

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#109300  by Cactus Jack

Anyone know what happened to Fred Diegtel who was Assistent General Manager on DL&W in the 1950's ?
 #109429  by henry6

...bring that name up. Someone else mentioned his name to me about a month ago. I believe she said he lived in Scranton(?) or the area last she knew. But not really sure. I will check with another source within the week.
 #111672  by henry6

>>>CJ, but I keep coming up with blanks on him. All say he was a nice guy and well liked but no one seems to know where is might be today.

#111696  by Cactus Jack

I understand he went to Cleveland in early EL days in the Labor Management Dept.

No clue after that.
 #111806  by wdburt1

Fuzzy recollection: In one of the last issues of the Erie-Lackawanna company magazine there is a photo of Fred D. and reference to his promotion to a high level operating official. I believe this was after the sacking of Gary White but before William White had brought in his operating chief (G.W. Maxwell).

I remember it only because I found it surprising that an ex-DL operating department manager had survived that long and got his 15 minutes of fame.

This Erie partisan says that EL would have been wise to put Shoemaker and his people in charge in October 1960.

WDB
 #113509  by ChiefTroll

Fred Diegtel was Vice President of Operations on the Erie Lackawanna when I worked in Hoboken 1968-70, and he had held that position for quite a while before that.

I was the Assistant Division Engineer, and the only person in my "chain of command" who was not ex-DL&W was Gregory Maxwell, President, ex-New York Central.

Even though the Erie people seem to have had the upper hand early in the merger, the DL&W Engineering Department officials were younger. They outlasted the old Erie heads, and eventually they prevailed.

I agree with WDB about Shoemaker. His group eventually did a fine job against overwhelming odds. But the operating philosophies and personalities of Erie and DL&W people were separated (to be polite) by the earliest management of EL, and to a large degree that separation was never overcome. It was a dark cloud over the Erie Lackawanna until the end.

#219847  by HSSRAIL

Carl Bayer headed up the EL's purchasing department. Most of the
ill will towards ex Lackawanna people came from Garry White. I don't
think most Erie people really signed onto the get the ex Lackawanna
People but got intimated into it.

Historically, many management people on the Lackawanna had started
their railroad careers on the Erie.