Railroad Forums 

• Franklin Street Station (Reading, PA)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#680201  by jfrey40535

Who owns Franklin Street Station? I paid my first visit to it on Saturday, and it appears very similar to Pottstown Station, except its a complete mess. The old canopy across the street (for the days when we had long trains) is long gone, and the ROW is a trash strewn single track now. Will post pictures shortly.

I assume since SEPTA does not own the line like the Bethlehem Branch, that they don't own any of the stations either.
 #680788  by jfrey40535

A pale shadow of its former self. At least there are plans to preserve it

Similar to Pottstown, the telegraph/trainline phone lines still remain because they're on steel poles, although some of the wooden ones down the line still exist and haven't been taken out by NS.
 #1036636  by wanderer34

Good news (as far as the station is concerned), but I heard that BARTA is going to renovate the station and turn it into a bus terminal. The commuter rail extension has been postponed and I'm not sure what SEPTA is going to do so far about bringing rail service back to Berks County!!!!!
 #1036935  by rrbluesman

Unless there is a sudden and strong political drive for the railroad extension to reach Reading, the project will be dicussed and postponed forever.