Railroad Forums 

• FRA issues draft rule change for lighter passenger rail cars

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1410738  by STrRedWolf

Posting from my phone but here's the article:

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/11/30/f ... nt-trains/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The FRA expects the new rules will enable railroads to use trains that are safer, more energy efficient, and cheaper to operate. The rules will allow American passenger train operators to purchase rolling stock designed to European safety standards (but not Japanese standards), without going through an expensive waiver process.
 #1410788  by bdawe

What a shame however, that this has come *after* contracts were signed and much equipment delivered for ACS-64s, corridor SC-44, corridor bilevels, and other FRA compliant orders around the country
 #1410808  by Nasadowsk

bdawe wrote:The proof will perhaps be in when any agency actually acts upon these proposals.
California is buying a few Stadler KISS sets for the San Jose electrification. Ft Worth is buying Stadler FLIRTs for a new rail line. IIRC, the Austin and Denton GTWs are basically euro-spec already.

The KISS units will be interesting to see, since they're spec'd to be 6000kW for a 6 car train, 2.24 mph/s acceleration, though they don't say yet what speed that'll be maintained to. 110mph top speed. But 60Hz only. It'll be interesting to see how the weight compares to the SBB units. A 60hz transformer is a big saver, but they'll have beefy air conditioning. I bet it's a wash...

Oddly, dual height platform capability...

If the MBTA had any brains (ok, ok, work with me here...), they'd watch this one closely...
 #1410835  by DutchRailnut

Keep in mind it is a draft rule, and in no way final see FRA page : http://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L18433#p1_z5_gD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1410841  by bdawe

Nasadowsk wrote:
bdawe wrote:The proof will perhaps be in when any agency actually acts upon these proposals.
California is buying a few Stadler KISS sets for the San Jose electrification. Ft Worth is buying Stadler FLIRTs for a new rail line. IIRC, the Austin and Denton GTWs are basically euro-spec already.

The KISS units will be interesting to see, since they're spec'd to be 6000kW for a 6 car train, 2.24 mph/s acceleration, though they don't say yet what speed that'll be maintained to. 110mph top speed. But 60Hz only. It'll be interesting to see how the weight compares to the SBB units. A 60hz transformer is a big saver, but they'll have beefy air conditioning. I bet it's a wash...

Oddly, dual height platform capability...

If the MBTA had any brains (ok, ok, work with me here...), they'd watch this one closely...
However, all of those orders were through time-segregating waivers. I believe that the plan for the Caltrain corridor is 110 mph maintenance, for the benefit of coming HSR runthrough mostly

They seem like they could make a lot of sense on the Marc Penn Line with proper power supply
 #1410940  by ExCon90

DutchRailnut wrote:Keep in mind it is a draft rule, and in no way final see FRA page : http://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L18433#p1_z5_gD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By the same token, if there's anything in there you don't like, click on Dutch's link to get the docket number and decide whether you want to have some input. As far as I know you don't have to have "standing" to comment in a rulemaking proceeding--although it's as well to stick to facts, avoid rhetoric, and keep adjectives and adverbs to a minimum; at the end of every final decision there's a sentence that goes something like "other submissions have been considered and found to be without merit."
 #1411128  by electricron

DutchRailnut wrote:Keep in mind it is a draft rule, and in no way final see FRA page : http://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L18433#p1_z5_gD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, the link is a draft, but the FRA has been working on these rules for years, it's going to be a new set of rules.
When the two largest states, specifically California and Texas, demand new rules, new rules get implemented.
The DCTA A Train GTWs had time separation operations with freight trains, they were allowed to run simultaneously with RDCs. FWTA TexRail Flirts desire simultaneous operations with freight trains, TRE locomotives and trailers, Amtrak locomotives and Superliners, and GVRR steam locomotives with heavy weight excursion coaches. There's no way they could set up a time separation schedule for all the different users using the same track. ;)
Likewise, Caltrains KISS multilevel will be sharing their tracks with CHSR. In both Texas and California cases, the main European contractor, Stadler Rail, has been in frequent discussions with the FRA, taking the time to answer all the FRA questions. The DCTA trains had more improvements than CapMetro trains, and the eBART trains have some more improvements. I believe Stadler has satisfied most of the FRA concerns over many years, to the point the FRA is finally ready to release the proposed draft of the new rules. ;)