Railroad Forums 

• Four point support

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#934158  by bengt

It looks like the russian copys of ALCO bogies have a four point support for the loco.
Was it the feature on the ALCOs in general? If so, was it an ALCO invention?

Your images may only be up to 800 pixels wide.
There is no automatic resizing feature in this Forum and I am not going to resize my pics.
You may look at the large pics at

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/b ... el/Rys/11/
 #1000877  by locomotive112

ALCO used both 3-point and 4-point support (and maybe more, who knows) on many of its trucks. I know mostly about one, its export truck made by DOFASCO, its was used on many different locomtives. This truck came in both a heavy and a light weight version and could be cast in any gauge.

Search DOFASCO here and you'll see some great photos showing the spring pad/rubbers used on that truck.

Back in 2007 I made some posts on railraodforums.com and if you look closely at them you'll see that truck, and maybe a few different locations for those spring rubbers. Search these over there; DOFASCO Export & ALCO DL535E WP&Y locomotive

"Spring rubbers" or "spring pads" varied in number and in location depending on any concievable need. It seems that the designers tested those pads in just about every concievable location, with the aim to keeping the truck level no matter the power used, or the braking forces, or the weight of the locomotive above it rolling from side to side, so it was always a balancing act.