Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1077910  by kptom

Found this old Penn Central car on an abandoned siding in Honesdale, PA last week:

And in the top, right-hand corner of the car, printed with newer paint was:

So I have two questions...
Can I assume that this was a former New York Central car and that was the car number?

After PC filed for bankruptcy, did all the rolling stock have something similar printed on them?
 #1078127  by shlustig

Yes, that was a former NYC car, as indicated.

All equipment that was purchased through a commercial equipment trust or leased from the actual purchaser either had an equipment trust plate affixed to the car or was stencilled as this one was.
 #1274634  by lvrr325

It wasn't unheard of for PC and Conrail to sell surplus boxcars to industries before abandoning a siding or a line, I've seen several examples of that in NY although most have since been scrapped.

This was a modern car built in the mid-60s and has Conrail paint, so it's likely there's some other reason for it's current use.
 #1274991  by BR&P

Judging by the 2-digit Geep in the background, this may be on a shortline. Surplus boxcars make great storage, and I'd say the majority of small roads have one or more they have bought from a Class I to store parts, supplies and whatever. Ditto for some rail-served industries. Kodak at one time had quite a collection of old wooden boxcars and 2-bay hoppers for in-plant use and for storage. Wish I had paid more attention to what they had!
 #1275608  by lvrr325

This is on the old Lackawaxen & Stourbridge; the geep is ex-MEC 567/ST 22 now AFRX 22, was intended to be used when the line was revived but is now stored as M&E was contracted to operate the line. Has been stored serviceable there for several years.

The boxcar I'm sure predates that, it's shown as Stourbridge Railroad 326 on RRpicturearchives.

I see it appears to be missing a stirrup at one end so likely bad ordered and used for storage or otherwise captive.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2586360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there also are, or were, two of these cars, the other being 358, also ex-Conrail and showing signs of two Conrail paint jobs. 358 appears to be movable but missing some of the door hardware.