South Amboy High Level platform construction coming soon

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

Eric Kreszl
Location: Little Silver NJ NJT NJCL Signal/Milepost L18.8 Home signal

South Amboy High Level platform construction coming soon

Post by Eric Kreszl » Sat May 05, 2007 6:02 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was on the train today and there were notices on the seats saying that they will begin preparing to convert the South Amboy Station to a High level platform. The notice also said that all electric trains will terminate in Woodbridge NJ. NJ Transit does not have the info on the website yet but when it comes I will let you know.

Eric

mcmannors

Re: South Amboy High Level platform construction coming soon

Post by mcmannors » Sat May 05, 2007 6:20 pm

Eric Kreszl wrote: The notice also said that all electric trains will terminate in Woodbridge NJ.

What does that mean?

CNJGeep

Post by CNJGeep » Sat May 05, 2007 7:13 pm

Yeah, I picked up a copy of that sign today too.

I guess it emans that instead of ahving to change in LB, the change is in Woodbridge.
"I'll keep moving through the dark, with you in my heart, my blood brother." RIP D.C.

PeteyNice

Post by PeteyNice » Sat May 05, 2007 7:23 pm

That sucks and blows simultaneously. Any word on the duration?

PRSL1972

Post by PRSL1972 » Sat May 05, 2007 7:58 pm

I would say a year to a year and a half
For what I have been seeing the direction of NJT is going which isn't great it should be disbanded and revert back to public service and rail to DOT. This will ensure all high paid brain dead people are weeded out!!!

njt/mnrrbuff

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Sat May 05, 2007 8:00 pm

I don't know about the all electric trains terminating at Woodbridge. Maybe its due to construction, but that shouldn't be the case period. There are three tracks through there.

CNJGeep

Post by CNJGeep » Sat May 05, 2007 8:26 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I don't know about the all electric trains terminating at Woodbridge. Maybe its due to construction, but that shouldn't be the case period. There are three tracks through there.

Three tracks? This is only for that one weekend, and a different weekend if the weather on that weekend is inclement.
"I'll keep moving through the dark, with you in my heart, my blood brother." RIP D.C.

PeteyNice

Post by PeteyNice » Sat May 05, 2007 9:07 pm

So which is it (the Woodbridge transfer) one weekend or a year+?

sullivan1985

Post by sullivan1985 » Sat May 05, 2007 9:44 pm

FOREVER!!!! :-P

nick11a

Post by nick11a » Sat May 05, 2007 10:18 pm

Hmmm, well, obviously they will have to re-work the catenary in South Amboy- I should think that NJT would do everything they can to allow rush-hour electric trains to originate/terminate in Long Branch still- otherwise you'll have a lot of unhappy riders.
~Nick O.: Moderator: NJT Rail

Moderator of the "widely popular" NJT Rail Forum! What once was first is now seventh!

Jtgshu

Post by Jtgshu » Sun May 06, 2007 12:12 am

I heard that too that they were planning on terminating electric trains in Woodbridge, to allow a cross platform transfer to a diesel set - I don't know for how long, or if it will effect all trains or only a certain period during the day, however, there is a LOT of track/catenary work that is going to be going on in South Amboy with this project, so i think it might be longer than a weekend.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how they are going to have across platform transfers in Woodbridge during rush hours in particular. In essence, they are going to be single tracking the Coast Line, because each train would be tying up two tracks. Its going to be a mess.

But of course, the 2300 Bay head to Hoboken trains probably won't be affected!!! :-) Like usual, they always run, no matter what!!! :-)
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.

Jtgshu

Post by Jtgshu » Sun May 06, 2007 12:26 am

Found the following on the NJT website
Service Adjustment
Track Work On The North Jersey Coast Line Special Schedules In Effect May 19 & 20, 2007

Effective Date: May 04, 2007

On Saturday, May 19 and Sunday, May 20, North Jersey Coast Line schedules will be altered to accommodate construction near South Amboy Station. This construction is in preparation for the future high level platform at South Amboy Station.

Customer Impacts:
All customers will transfer from diesel to electric trains at Woodbridge Station, including those who normally transfer at Long Branch Station.
For both eastbound and westbound trains, a special schedule will be in effect for the weekend. Customers should expect an increased travel time of up to 15-20 minutes during this construction.

Detailed schedules will be available in future seat drops and on station posters, and will be posted at stations by the weekend of May 12, 2007.

Please listen to public address announcements for detailed information.

Note: In the event we are unable to perform this construction work on May 19 and 20, we will reschedule the work to Saturday, June 2 and Sunday, June 3.

NJ TRANSIT thanks you for your patience and cooperation while we work to improve the North Jersey Coast Line. We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience during this project.

If you have any questions about this project, please contact NJ TRANSIT at 1 (800) 772-2222.
I guess it is only for one weekend (for now, at least) — that's good — rush hours would be a nightmare if they had to transfer at Woodbridge during rush — oh boy……………
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.

PeteyNice

Post by PeteyNice » Sun May 06, 2007 12:37 am

What confused me was the "non electric" part. On weekends there is only one non electric NJCL train and that is the last late night train on Sunday night/Monday morning.

I had planned on taking the train to see Mets/Yankees on the 19th. Those plans will be rethought. Maybe the ferry?

Edit: as anyone else getting an error "Unable to send e-mail" and a debug line number when they post? Makes me think my reply didn't get through but it clearly did.

Eric Kreszl
Location: Little Silver NJ NJT NJCL Signal/Milepost L18.8 Home signal

Post by Eric Kreszl » Sun May 06, 2007 9:35 am

Jtgshu wrote:Found the following on the NJT website
Service Adjustment
Track Work On The North Jersey Coast Line Special Schedules In Effect May 19 & 20, 2007

Effective Date: May 04, 2007

On Saturday, May 19 and Sunday, May 20, North Jersey Coast Line schedules will be altered to accommodate construction near South Amboy Station. This construction is in preparation for the future high level platform at South Amboy Station.

Customer Impacts:
All customers will transfer from diesel to electric trains at Woodbridge Station, including those who normally transfer at Long Branch Station.
For both eastbound and westbound trains, a special schedule will be in effect for the weekend. Customers should expect an increased travel time of up to 15-20 minutes during this construction.

Detailed schedules will be available in future seat drops and on station posters, and will be posted at stations by the weekend of May 12, 2007.

Please listen to public address announcements for detailed information.

Note: In the event we are unable to perform this construction work on May 19 and 20, we will reschedule the work to Saturday, June 2 and Sunday, June 3.

NJ TRANSIT thanks you for your patience and cooperation while we work to improve the North Jersey Coast Line. We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience during this project.

If you have any questions about this project, please contact NJ TRANSIT at 1 (800) 772-2222.
I guess it is only for one weekend (for now, at least) — that's good — rush hours would be a nightmare if they had to transfer at Woodbridge during rush — oh boy……………

That was the note I read when I was on the train.

Eric

Jtgshu

Post by Jtgshu » Sun May 06, 2007 10:23 am

Yea, ive been getting the "debug" error when posting, but the posts work, but it won't tell you that they did.

I wouldn't worry about the train, just keep an eye out for the special schedules for that weekend, and check the website. On the weekends, most trains meet in Woodbridge, so there shouldn't be too many delays, as a diesel will probably come up from BH, unload its passengers, and they will probably board teh same electric train that just came down from NYP and unloaded its passengers in Woodbridge going west. Those passengers will then board the diesel that just brought the people east - and then head west down to BH (or Long Branch, whichever).

Now, this is just my guess as to how they might do it, but it doesn't seem overly complicated. But it is NJT, and we know what happens some times..............

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”