Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Technical Topics

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Gilbert B Norman

Re: Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Technical Topics

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:40 am

I'm of course pleased to learn that a two car test train is out on the rails. Regarding the comment if it were sandbagged to simulate passengers, well, "baby steps first".

Most of concern to me is that there have been no reports here, or at least noted by me, that the design weakness has been defined and addressed by either SEPTA or the new vendor's engineering. Are we simply using the same Buckeye drawings of the part that, I'd dare say, failed "prematurely"? If so, get ready for "same song, second verse" in another five years.

Finally, look what this posting drew from Mr. Google's "target marketing".

http://www.onealmfgservices.com/indianapolis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bikentransit

Post by bikentransit » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Is the FRA going to have to approve the repaired cars before they go back into service?

Nasadowsk

Post by Nasadowsk » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Most of concern to me is that there have been no reports here, or at least noted by me, that the design weakness has been defined and addressed by either SEPTA or the new vendor's engineering. Are we simply using the same Buckeye drawings of the part that, I'd dare say, failed "prematurely"? If so, get ready for "same song, second verse" in another five years.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"

I seem to recall the R-46's trucks went around in circles for a few years at the NYCTA until they just replaced them.

I wonder who'dsgoing to be left holding the bag?

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:28 pm

Rotem will be on the hook to a point,paying the overtime at the SEPTA Shops rebuilding the trucks,and/or
part of the "car hire" fees to NJT,Amtrak,and MARC.

South Jersey Budd

Post by South Jersey Budd » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:39 am

Sand bags were used in the initial testing of the cars when originally delivered. It allows the engineering people to collect data on how the cars perform on many levels ( including trucks, springs, lateral motion etc.) under a full weight load.

I also wonder if the theory of how the cracking most likely occurred is solved with whatever new design they decide on or it's just a five year fix.

silverlinerfan22

Post by silverlinerfan22 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:40 pm

Fix is for 3-5 years. (with fingers crossed) Then it appears they plan on "permanent" fix.

chuchubob

Post by chuchubob » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:01 pm

From the Thursday morning press conference:
"Knueppel explained that the replacement beams are of an entirely new design that eliminates the points where fatigue cracks developed on the old beams. Where the old beams had a notch, the new ones have a smooth curve, and instead of being welded to the beams, the feet are attached by pins."
“The new beams should have a fatigue life of 30 years,” said Assistant General Manager for Operations Ron Hopkins..."

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:19 am

Well Mr. Vogel, do we drink the General Manager's Kool-Aid, or do we hold to the thoughts of Messrs. Silverliner, Budd, as well as myself, that a lyricist had best be writing that second verse?

No swinging at you of course, for you are simply the reporter.

Nasadowsk

Post by Nasadowsk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:43 am

chuchubob wrote:From the Thursday morning press conference:
"Knueppel explained that the replacement beams are of an entirely new design that eliminates the points where fatigue cracks developed on the old beams. Where the old beams had a notch, the new ones have a smooth curve, and instead of being welded to the beams, the feet are attached by pins."
“The new beams should have a fatigue life of 30 years,” said Assistant General Manager for Operations Ron Hopkins..."
So, they messed up engineering 101 the first time around?

khecht

Post by khecht » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Some more details on the repair process in these articles:
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... eturn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/09/0 ... ir-return/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ferroequinologist

Post by ferroequinologist » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:47 pm

Not sure how technical it is, but when I passed the Silverlined Vs at Overbrook today a pretty significant proportion were vandalized with graffiti. I assume that'll get removed before they go back into service, or will they go in straight? Will that interfere with returning them to service at all?

danquagl

Post by danquagl » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

I assume most likely that they will be cleaned off, not only those but a couple of Silverliner IV's and push-pull trailers/cab cars were hit as well.

pumpers

Post by pumpers » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:22 am

I've been out of the loop the past few weeks but it is great to see cars coming back so fast, congrats to those involved. Does anyone know if the idea to attach the load-bearing plates with pins is a standard approach or something new?
Sure seems straightforward compared to the complexities of welding. I wonder what the down side is. Time will tell. In the videos posted from news sites, the plasma cutter is impressive. I think they said it could cut out an equalizer in less than ten minutes.

glennk419

Re: Silverliner V's Returning To Service

Post by glennk419 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:41 am

Media reports this morning indicate that the 18 cars which were returned to service have once again been pulled due to a "new" unspecified defect. This is not good news at all.

http://6abc.com/traffic/repaired-septa- ... t/1508045/
Glenn

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:44 am

Let us hope we are not addressing a "haste makes waste" situation, that this defect reported to the Forum immediately by Mr. GlennK is minor in nature and scope, and that the forged and machined replacement parts in process or finished are unaffected.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SEPTA (and PATCO)”