Yes you are missing something. Media types do get their writing incorrect. The plan as posted elsewhere on Gateway sites has the first 2 track north Portal bridge to be constructed. The present swing bridge will be kept in service but if it has a failure it can be taken out of service and repaired. Once funding is acquired for the 2 track Portal south bridge then the swing bridge will be removed. So the swing bridge is going to be around for awhile. Since the whole NEC Gateway project needs funds the south Portal bridge is one of the last items to start construction.Hawaiitiki wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but is this article only referring to an "apples to apples" replacement? 2 tracks replaced by 2 tracks? Isn't one of the goals to at the very least triple (hope quadruple) track the distance between the waterfront connection junction and New York Penn? $1.5billion for a two track non-moveable bridge seems insane.
At one time the Gateway project list was ----- subject to changes no one is aware
1. 2 track North Portal bridge and all track work. Preliminary work has already started for isolation of the column areas.
2. 2 new North (Hudson) river tunnel bores
3. NYP Penn south station construction
4. 4 tracking from North river tunnel bores to Newark Penn station.
5. 2 track south Portal bridge ( with connections changed from swing bridge )
5a. Removal of Portal swing bridge
6. Secaucus loop track
7. East river tunnel bores 5 & 6 connecting to new Penn south tracks. Subject to the new New York city water tunnel (2 or 3 ? ) construction finished south of NYP.
8. Dock draw over Passaic river rehabilitated ( just north of Newark Penn station ).
As stated above these projects may be started in different order. Since the projects will take different times to complete items started later may be completed earlier.