Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1420708  by railfan365

I noticed on a subway track map that the 57th/7th station on the Broadway Line has a pair of crossovers between the express tracks both just South of the station, and just North of the station. Of course, I already know that every bit of train movement costs, between the electricity consumed, and wear and tear on the equipment. However, going back to when 57th Street was the Q's Northern terminal I ask: With the minimal amount of extra train movement that would have been involved, why did they not run each empty train out of the station and relay back on the downdown track so that downtown passenger could necessarily go there instead of having to scramble to find which track the next downtown train would be leaving from?
 #1420897  by GirlOnTheTrain

Changing ends is more operationally efficient than relaying the train...relaying the train takes time and effort to kick everyone off the train since passengers can't ride the relay.

Or as my tower operator source (who is qualified there) put it: "If you change ends you can get the train in and out in 2 minutes."
 #1420980  by GirlOnTheTrain

What happens when they don't immediately go back into service and are sitting outside the station and someone has a medical emergency? Or some crazy person decides to have a mental break and the other people in the car have no place to go? etc... You know as well as I that if either of the aforementioned scenarios transpire that some ambulance chaser lawyer will sue the TA for allowing such a situation to be possible.

Additionally it's a safety issue for crews if a deranged person rides the relay and decides it would be a dandy time to break into a cab and assault a crew member.