Railroad Forums 

• Former DLW station at East Stroudsburg burns 10/2009

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#730829  by JDouglasFisher

Folks,

Early this morning, around 2:30 AM, East Stroudsburg Fire Department responded to a call for the apparatus at Dansbury Depot, formerly a DL&W Station.

Below is a link to a video I shot during the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE6sPTHPe30

Also, is a video regarding the aftermath, more or less a compilation of photos I took later in the morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztRoqBiFXAE

Hopefully, since she is on the National Register of Historic Places, she will be rebuilt.

Joe.
 #812613  by agvter

Just last week I heard some sad news that the 1800's DL&W depot at East
Stroudsburg, is structurally unsafe and will have to be demolished. The
owner wants to rebuild the depot but it won't have the history and charm of
an 1800's depot that saw some many people with so many different stories
pass through it:-(

David J. Monte Verde
 #813062  by agvter

I did not specifically say that he would not try to replicate the building he is going to try but, it would be very hard to do . What I was trying to say is that all the souls that passed through that station will be gone. As will the memories of all the Pacifics, Hudsons, Poconos, F's, E's, Baldwins and TrainMasters!
David MV
 #813104  by agvter

Someone was at a restaurant in Stroudsburg and was talking to the owner about Dansbury Depot. He told him that the story around town is that the owner got several hundred thousand less for his insurance settlement than he expected and that he wanted to rebuild. Supposedly the insurance company dinged him for not securing the building after the fire which in turn caused a lot of post-fire damage to the building, especially because of standing water that froze over the Winter, doing extensive foundation damage.

DMV