Railroad Forums 

• Flooding in Central Pennsylvania right now

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#969762  by MACTRAXX

Plate F wrote:How's the big arch bridge across the Susquehanna?
PF: You probably mean the Rockville Bridge-I was wondering about that bridge myself...

Everyone: How high are the floodwaters expected to be at Harrisburg and will they be high enough to reach street level there?

Places like City Island will probably be under water but I am also thinking about Amtrak's line just S of HAR and the Port Road...

MACTRAXX
 #969779  by scottychaos

MACTRAXX wrote:
Plate F wrote:How's the big arch bridge across the Susquehanna?
Everyone: How high are the floodwaters expected to be at Harrisburg and will they be high enough to reach street level there?

MACTRAXX
The Susquehanna has just crested at Harrisburg, earlier today, at 25.17 feet.
7 feet less than Agnes in 1972, which was 32.6 feet.

Scot
 #971646  by thebigham

http://www.sungazette.com/page/content. ... l?nav=5011

The SEDA-Council of Government Joint Rail Authority Board on Wednesday authorized the accelerated removal of the Lycoming Valley Railroad Bridge.

The bridge, which spans Loyalsock Creek in Montoursville Borough, was damaged during the flood caused by Tropical Storm Lee, said Jerry S. Walls, chairman of the SEDA-Council of Government Joint Rail Authority Board.

Walls said he authorized the removal because people were worried about the state of the bridge and its possibility of collapsing if any more storms come through the area.

"We're trying to improve and accelerate it (the bridge removal)," Walls said.

The next step in the process to remove the bridge will be to receive the bids. He estimated the board will award contracts on Sept. 30.
 #971647  by thebigham

Psoted Wednesday, Sept 14:

CP Sunbury Subdivision Back Open!

Hi Everyone,

After over a week long shut down on the CP Sunbury Sub due to severe flooding of
23 miles of track. The Canadian Pacific Engineering Services Department have
worked endlessly (24/7) since Sunday morning to restore the line to service.

They have the line again reopen as of this evening with 28 miles of 25mph track
and 36 miles of 10mph track. So things are going to be rather slow for a while
as extensive repairs continue.
 #971674  by jrevans

http://northcentralpa.com/article/damag ... demolished
The SEDA-COG Joint Rail Authority (JRA) is moving aggressively to remove the Loyalsock Creek Bridge, which was heavily damaged in flooding last week from Tropical Storm Lee. Depending on the weather, the JRA hopes to have the bridge fully removed by late this winter. A new bridge may be in place by the end of 2012.

Located between Montoursville and Williamsport, the 80-year old bridge serves the Lycoming Valley Railroad (LVRR), the busiest of the JRA’s five short line railroads. Trains will be re-routed, so customers on the line will experience no interruption in service. As soon as the bridge is removed the Rail Authority will proceed with plans to replace it.

#1055054  by Missyg24

I live not too far from the bridge (linden, pa) & i remember walking across the bridge in aug 2010 with my bf. Everytime i pass that location i go back to that day. He says its great that the bridge is gone now, & doesnt think of the railroads work to local businesses. Its a shame the bridge was taken out due to the flooding.

heres a pic from when i passed by it few months ago:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater