Railroad Forums 

• FL9 F-10 Discussion: Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1465797  by Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith wrote:Why would the FL9 not be able to lead or trail as an end unit? I'm not sure why you'd need a P32 at all? It seems the P32 is the problem here; no nose door, no egress.
check check?
 #1465809  by DutchRailnut

It was explained in previous post, they no longer have third rail capabilities .
Metro North does not allow revenue trains to run in on diesel , except emergencies.
Amtrak has been planning for this for nearly a year, hardly a emergency in any book.
 #1465952  by Allouette

MAS around the few grade crossings in the Corriidor was 80, even for Metroliners. When the BOS-NHV section was upgraded, the remaining grade crossings were equipped with quad gates.
 #1465997  by Patrick Boylan

I haven't read this entire thread, but in another thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=167162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Empire Service this summer
AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer wrote:Empire trains will be routed to GCT this year for an entirely different reason than last summer. Last year Empire trains were rerouted to GCT to alleviate congestion in NYP due to track outages during track repairs. This year, Empire service will be returning to GCT due to the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge being replaced.
Did Amtrak really run to Grand Central last year? Why can't they use whatever they used last year?
 #1466002  by DutchRailnut

last year it was only three inbound and three outbound, which could easily be accommodated on center tracks only.
this year it will be all Empire service (but not Lake Shore Limited) which is not only s**t load more trains but also for a much longer time.
no guarantee to use inside tracks for all those moves .
 #1466085  by GirlOnTheTrain

Patrick Boylan wrote:Did Amtrak really run to Grand Central last year? Why can't they use whatever they used last year?
Yours truly shot this last year: https://flic.kr/p/XyUFbL
 #1466683  by blockline4180

Obviously this is not in line with the current talk about possible reactivation of the NH FL9s, but does anyone know the exact date the last run of the Fs on the branch lines took place? I had read 2009, but when exactly in 2009 and anyone have photos ?
Thanks!
 #1466687  by Noel Weaver

I checked back maybe a couple of weeks ago and it appreared to me that the last run was sometime maybe in February, 2009 or just about 9 years ago. I got that from research on this thread.
Noel Weaver
 #1466763  by NaugyRR

Ehh, I wouldn't say that, people knew they were on the way out. There was a farewell tour in 2005, see http://www.erie-lackawanna.com/MNRTrips.pdf.
 #1466813  by ConstanceR46

Pretty sure they were Work Motors by the end, deshoed. A farewell tour that early makes sense as they'll probably never see GCT again.

edit: i'm a idiot. i meant at the time nobody thought amtrak would grab em
Last edited by ConstanceR46 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.