• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

  • Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

  • 545 posts
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 37
  by Otto Vondrak
 
BR&P wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Yeah the guy who runs this site is a jerk anyway.-otto-
Show me where I said any such thing!
Self-depreciating humor :-)

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak
 
Also of note, the FGLK web site has not been updated since 2012:

http://www.fglkrail.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any kind of update would help inspire more confidence (and I'm not talking about railfan nonsense, either). Nothing says "dead company" like a site that is not current.

One thing I hope changes for 2014... I hope the railroad considers painting locomotives again. I know paint is a luxury, and I'm the first to point out "paint doesn't pull freight" but the railroad went from having a very nice-looking fleet of locomotives to operating what looks like a bunch of rag-tag leftovers. Even applying a simplified paint job would help public image... And I would imagine that public image is still important even to the smallest railroads.

It's basic marketing to keep current and maintain a good image. Especially if the railroad is about to embark on an expansion of operations (freight or passenger).

Again, regarding expansion to Lyons, "I'll believe it when I see it."

-otto-
  by terms-d
 
BR&P wrote:
D&H wrote:Doesn't AWOL mean absent without leave? Seems perfect.
I was under the impression it was control of Geneva Yard Limits only. A crew told me they would wait upwards of 1-2 hours just to receive the yard limits.
Maybe FGLK is taking over the dispatching for the entire Southern Tier District after failed negotiations to take over WNYP's dispatching.
Some time last year I heard there was a possibility that FGLK would take over dispatching for Farmrail out in Oklahoma. Anybody know if that ever came to pass?
A Google search turned up the following:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/soon ... opics/6483

"Farmrail Dispatch is in Geneva, NY (Finger Lakes RR).... so when several
others visited Farmrail Office in Clinton and asked where the trains are,
they did not know.... hence from what we learned about DS in NY as they told
me."
  by terms-d
 
Otto Vondrak wrote:One thing I hope changes for 2014... I hope the railroad considers painting locomotives again. I know paint is a luxury, and I'm the first to point out "paint doesn't pull freight" but the railroad went from having a very nice-looking fleet of locomotives to operating what looks like a bunch of rag-tag leftovers. Even applying a simplified paint job would help public image... And I would imagine that public image is still important even to the smallest railroads.
I found this photo of FGLK 2310 being painted last Fall:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zanesmithp ... 276247216/

So perhaps hope is not lost.
  by BR&P
 
Judging by the excellent track condition on that siding, I'd guess that was taken at Clifton Springs?
  by Otto Vondrak
 
terms-d wrote:I found this photo of FGLK 2310 being painted last Fall:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zanesmithp ... 276247216/

So perhaps hope is not lost.
That is indeed a good sign.

-otto-
  by scharnhorst
 
BR&P wrote:
D&H wrote:Doesn't AWOL mean absent without leave? Seems perfect.
I was under the impression it was control of Geneva Yard Limits only. A crew told me they would wait upwards of 1-2 hours just to receive the yard limits.
Maybe FGLK is taking over the dispatching for the entire Southern Tier District after failed negotiations to take over WNYP's dispatching.
Some time last year I heard there was a possibility that FGLK would take over dispatching for Farmrail out in Oklahoma. Anybody know if that ever came to pass?
I had heard that Finger Lakes had or were hiring 2 dispatchers last spring / Summer to work 7 days a week 24 hours a day in Geneva to dispatch trains over both Farmrail and Grain Belt. Grain Belt is also owned and operated by Farmrail. I'll ask some of the railfans out here in the Tulsa area and see if they know anything.
  by BR&P
 
scharnhorst wrote:
I had heard that Finger Lakes had or were hiring 2 dispatchers last spring / Summer to work 7 days a week 24 hours a day in Geneva to dispatch trains over both Farmrail and Grain Belt. Grain Belt is also owned and operated by Farmrail. I'll ask some of the railfans out here in the Tulsa area and see if they know anything.
"terms-d" has already confirmed FMRC and GNBC dispatching is done out of Geneva, a few posts above. But thanks for the offer anyway.
  by Awol
 
D&H wrote:Doesn't AWOL mean absent without leave? Seems perfect.
I was under the impression it was control of Geneva Yard Limits only. A crew told me they would wait upwards of 1-2 hours just to receive the yard limits.
Maybe FGLK is taking over the dispatching for the entire Southern Tier District after failed negotiations to take over WNYP's dispatching.
Forgive me moderator... AWOL = anal without lube.

I'm sure there are some delays in getting initial yard limit authorization from the NS, but I HIGHLY doubt the FGLK will EVER dispatch the Southern Tier...keep dreaming!
Does the WNYP have enough traffic to warrant a dispatcher anymore? A bit off topic as it does't pertain to FGLK 2014, just a thought.

Wait for FGLK to run to Lyons again, and then add Amtrak service to Geneva. :-D
BR&P wrote:Ain't THAT the truth! :P (Man, this site has the lousiest set of smilie options I ever saw! Not even a LOL one. :( )
I think the additiona of a "face-palm" would be sufficient.

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

Cheers!
  by lvrr325
 
Finger Lakes dispatching for NS makes no sense whatsoever. i presume it was intended as sarcasm.
  by lakeshoredave
 
amtrak running trains into geneva? when does that happen?

signed,
the buffalo bills winning a super bowl
  by CPSD40-2
 
I am hopeful that sometime soon we'll all know whats happening with the Corning Secondary north of Geneva. Until then, I'll keep my hopes up that there's a deal in the works. I crossed the line at Packwood Rd last week, after noticing that for the first time in a LONG time, all of the stored cars were cleared off Dove Siding and the main. North of Packwood Rd though, the rails are still rusty, and there's brush that looks to be pretty heavy growing up between the ties. I would assume that a detailed inspection of the line would be in order prior to use, and given the brush, I wonder if they will have to run a brush cutter through there before even the inspection can happen? After all, wasn't the line placed OOS by NS due to some specific part of the line "needing repair"?
  by BR&P
 
How could you tell from Packwood Road that there were no cars on Doves? I'm guessing you meant to say Preemption Road.
  by Awol
 
Maybe they knew where they were, but meant RICH siding.... Unless FGLK finally put up one of those big round mirrors for blind driveways on the curve looking South from Packwood!
  by BR&P
 
It's Superman, with telescopic X-ray vision! :wink:

Seen any sign of FGLK using one of its plows yet AWOL?
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 37