Railroad Forums 

• Fill and track relocation Stillwater reservoir (1924-26)

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#485915  by mowretired

Does anyone have any info or pics of this construction? This causeway is about a mile and a half long. It coudn't happen over night. Pics had to be taken. When the reservoir is low you can see the old roadbed sans ties of course. Also a wing from ajordan spreader still sapported by two ties is visible. There has to be more mw RR nuts out there than just me. Come on guys dig deep.

#486014  by RussNelson

Hmmm... Not sure I'd call that a "relocation" so much as "raising". The change isn't even visible on the topo maps. Have you tried the Adirondack Museum? http://www.adkmuseum.org/

#486071  by mowretired

Russ, Thanks for the responce. I tried poking around the adkmuseum site a while back. Not much luck. I just looked at historic topos again an compared 1903 with 1954 and if ya know what to look for you can almost see it. The old bed is under water most of the time. I have pics of it uncovered at low water. It runs on the west side of the existing tangent north of beautiful downtown Beaver River. In my career I was involved in several projects of that scope and don't think the line would be shut down long enough to just fill the existing track. Chances are most of the fill and rail was layed then the rail was thrown and conected in just a few days. This is how the new bridge at union road on the buffalo line was done with out delays and the relocation at Gibson on the tier as well. Looks like the same method at Beaver river but ya can only see the old track at very low reservoir levels (1670 and below). The old bead also appears to be balasted with cinders or some other material, not the existing stone ballast as used today.

#486112  by RussNelson

Pics?? Can you upload them? Flickr is good, or there's nerail.org's photo archives.

#486865  by mowretired

Russ, I'll give it a go, but I'll have to enlist my daughter to do it.

#492927  by RussNelson

Cool beans! If I know where that picture with the spreader was taken, the current routing is behind you. The culvert sure makes it look like the railbed was raised in place. That's gotta be, what, 6 feet higher?

#492945  by mowretired

:-D Russ I'm standing on the existing ROW taking that pic. The pic of the culvert the water level is at about 1668 elavation+- . If you check historic topos ther was aculvert in the sam location at the lower el. I believe the existing culvert was constructed using the existing footings. I saw the culvert in 2001 when the res was drawn all the way down and the old road bed, complete with ties and plates is visable under the fill jus south of the culvert. I think if I dig long enough I can find pics of same.
 #585335  by mowretired

Well I had the pleasure of an afternoon with an older gentleman, born in Beaver River 1923 and he confirmed what I had thought all along. The roadbed that is under water is in fact the original roadbed from before the fill. Buy the way His father was station agent in BR when the original station burnt.
 #707204  by mowretired

Well folks I just recently came into possession of some early photos that I believe answer my questions. Yes that is a wing from a spreader. I have a pic of a spreader in BR in the correct time frame. I also have pics that show the "Jackworks" located where the submerged are. Also a pic which clearly shows a switch on the west side just north of the original depot.