• Ferrocarril Central Andino

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

• 220 posts
  by Benny

In this time, I don't know why, rail traffic is at a low level so, when I heard the horn of a coming train,
I remembered my early days as a train hunter to quickly drive to the railroad.
This is the result: loco 701 at the head of an empty wagons train returning from the Patio Central to Monserrate shooted at the level crossing of Palla passage in Callao.
701+vuoti concentrato pl Palla.jpg
Ciao :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Benny

Against the sun (the only five minutes of sun during the day :( ), but I couldn't leave the opportunity of taking images of rare shunting on the tracks that serve some fuel storage sites at the back of Patio Central in one of the hottest places of Callao, the so-called Puerto Nuevo. To be noted that, until not long ago, those tracks were covered by a coat of waste.

701 Puerto Nuevo combustibili 2.jpg
701 Puerto Nuevo combustibili 6.jpg
701 Puerto Nuevo combustibili 4.jpg
Surely not top-shots but this little happening pushed up my mood in a nasty day. :-D :-D :-D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Benny

Frankly I didn't asked, it should be.
But it's strange because there is a refinery along the railroad.
Probably this is a kind of fuel not locally produced.
All in all, the loaded tankers were only two ones.

by Benny

Few days ago, when trying to put on YouTube the Puerto Nuevo Video, I found another video to commemorate FCCA 1023 loco that, was told, has been sidelined in October 2020 because of engine problems (and effectively the last time I saw it has been the last July and was not in good condition). The loco, this one,
1023 con merci davanti alla baraccopoli tra jr Villegas e av. Gambetta (Callao) R.jpg
is a SD 40-2 built by GM in 1966 that passed through many owners and on FCCA was used only between Callao and Matucana because it hasn't clearance for the summit tunnel.
A tear because it has been the first Peruvian locomotive that I ever photographed but its younger sister, 1024, is still soldiering.

by Benny

Instinct, always it....
I was not really close but anything told me to go watching in the Patio Central neighbourhood.
At Puerto Nuevo no sign of life (apart the local "fauna") but, crossing avenida Atalaya, I saw something moving inside the sulphuric acid storage site.
After a good amount of fighting with the trucks to and from the harbour customs I succeeded in coming to the exit of the siding and, after few minutes, I have been awarded with 533 (one of my "black beasts") that got out hauling a rake of empty tankers and the emergency car.
533+vuoti acido uscita stoccaggio.jpg
Some minutes later I could capture again 533 in front of the Patio Central when, uncoupled the cars,
533 davanti al Patio Central.jpg
it switched to return inside (the train would follow on later with another loco).
533 manovra Patio Central.jpg
Incidentally, when I was trying to park my car, 702 hauling another train sorted from Patio Central and began its journey; it could be nice to shot the two locos side by side but I'm happy all the same: finally I took 533!

And these are the videos: sorry for the scarce quality, I consider myself a discreet photographer but video is something new, but are interesting because of the sound.

For the history, 533 is an EMD GR12 built in 1965 for the Cerro de Pasco mining railroad and, after nationalisation and re-privatization, is now in the hands of FCCA that manages also its native line and use it mainly for shunting or siding work.

by NorthWest

Good stuff. 533 is a beautiful locomotive.
  by Benny

"a train is coming, where could I shot it? Here there isn't enough space, here too much plants, here there are railings... Damn... It passed... And now?" "wake up and chase it, clumsy! It's a long time that you want to shot it in the Gambetta Alta slums..." "but the train goes straight and me, instead, have to do a great ride with traffic lights, overrides and thousands of driving beast's ..." "Old stupid, in youth era you chased DB 01 express loco at full speed and now you are worried about a slow freight train? Shame on you!" "well, let's go trying...."
And so, a little later, I found myself in this renowned holiday resort, where tea is sorbed with the little finger at the top, to shot 701 at the head of 41 loaded cars (but the line is downhill, effectively the loco only brakes)
701+misto baraccopoli Gambetta.jpg
And this is the (bad) video.

And, as the train was further slowing down, I chased it one more time (better you don't know where I passed....) and took another shot when it was searching its way through the trucks waiting for loading near the Avenida Gambetta level crossing, just before the Patio Central.
701+misto PL av. gambetta 2.jpg
  by Benny

Benny wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:19 pm Few days ago, when trying to put on YouTube the Puerto Nuevo Video, I found another video to commemorate FCCA 1023 loco that, was told, has been sidelined in October 2020 because of engine problems.
Instead....
https://youtube.com/shorts/gLIqNpwUGEQ?feature=share

Seen yesterday afternoon with a short containers train.

by Benny

Again instinct...
Having a little of time between two services, I was going to eat a "pan con chicharrón" (an excellent sandwich with pork meat fried in its own fat and sweet potato) but the car seemed to have proper life so I arrived at the Puerto Nuevo sidings and discovered that, after it has been cleared from the coat of waste, it is sometimes used to shunt the mineral concentrate cars that come at Patio Central.
More, although Easter is far gone, the shunting loco was another resurrected: 801, although not my favourite one, disappeared for a long time. This loco is "the sister that had plastic surgery" of 533, an EMD GR12 that had its cab and front nose modified.
Well, these are the images; note, in the second one, the prow of a ship in the background.
801 manovra Puerto Nuevo 3.jpg
801 manovra Puerto Nuevo+MSC Melina.jpg

And there are the videos, too.

And finally I shooted also the mural painting on the side of the back entrance of Patio Central.
Murale post. Patio Central.jpg
And remained me the time to enjoy my super sandwich!