Railroad Forums 

• Feds to Investigate MBTA Safety

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1602928  by MBTA3247

The sill is the portion of the car's side that sits below the level of the floor and protects the actual frame from exposure to the elements. On the #12 cars, it's the beige piece below the orange stripe and door thresholds.
 #1603085  by Kilo Echo

Universal HUB reports another Red Line runaway from the Braintree yard this morning.

Fair use:
A two-car Red Line train came out of the Braintree yard when it wasn't supposed to around 5:30 a.m. and then didn't stop until it got about 800 feet north of the station, the MBTA reports.
Full article: This morning's massive Red Line delays caused by yet another train just rolling out of the Braintree yard
 #1603093  by BandA

This is a new secret driverless mode they plan to roll out systemwide.

Reminds me of this earworm:
"Roll, roll me away, won't you roll me away tonight. I too am lost, I feel double-crossed and I'm sick of what's wrong and what's right.....

....And I said next time. Next time: We'll get it right"
 #1603098  by chrisf

The highlight of this most recent event is that there was actually someone on board the train: “On a recording of MBTA radio frequencies, the operator of the short train - consisting of older cars 1640 and 1641 - can be heard urgently calling to a dispatcher: ‘Sir, it's not stopping!’”
 #1603116  by octr202

This latest incident sounds more like a brake failure than the previous sort of unattended runaways. Still alarming, just for different reasons.

We sure get variety when it comes to safety problems at the T...
 #1603144  by BandA

Are there hand brakes on transit cars that can be manually screwed down? How do the emergency brakes that are in the passenger compartment work? Is there no dynamic braking? I assume the train was running down hill

What surprises me most is it delayed start of service for 45 minutes apparently. It shouldn't take that long to tow it back to the yard, maybe they were under orders not to touch until investigators arrived to supervise.
 #1603146  by BandA

A two car train seems very short. I speculate that they were moving cars that were cut off yesterday to get them out of the way.
 #1603167  by typesix

All the subway cars do have a handbrake. Likely set the handbrake(s) and have another train couple on and tow backwards or if air pressure can be built up, run back to the yard after receiving permission and likely with inspector onboard.
No dynamic brakes on these cars in the incident below 15mph, which is standard for most subway cars without electronic motor controls.
 #1603195  by dieciduej

I still don't get it on what happened, reduced brake capacity.

My understanding is that the air part of an air brake system holds the brakes off the wheel thread. When the emergency brakes are tripped the air is released and the brakes contact the wheels. When the TO applies the brakes entering a station part is dynamic above 10-15 mph then its all air brakes to a stop. In this scenario a hostler was doing a two car move and applied the brakes to find they had none to speak of. So this are the possibility:

1 - The air could not be released, hence no brake application. (Controller or brake valve problem.)

2 - Brake shoes worn down that they don't make contact with the wheel.

3 - Mis-adjusted brake slack adjuster or brake linkage not connected.

Looking at those three puts it in the house of poor maintenance. Lack of personnel, lack of training or just negligence. So, in a 6-car set how many brakes are needed?

I am not usually negative but this is getting trying.
 #1603200  by MBTA3247

You have the operation of the brakes backwards. The brakes are held off by springs. Moving air into the brake cylinder applies the brakes.
 #1603260  by CRail

There is a major difference between "train air" and "straight air." Subway cars are straight air, wherein air applies the brakes. If there is no air, there are no brakes. Subway cars do employ a "brake pipe" referred to as train line pressure, but it does not function like a railroad brake pipe. Train line pressure simply holds valves closed to keep the train out of an emergency application. This way, if the train comes apart it allows the emergency valve to open resulting in an emergency application. Train air fills every car with air pressure and then controls that air with the brake pipe pressure.

While I don't know the specifics of the incident, we do know that it involved a disabled train. The most likely scenario I can come up with is a dead pair of cars were brought into the yard and uncoupled. After the uncoupling the cars began to roll and, because there was no air in the system as the cars were dead, there was nothing other than wrapping a probably fairly weak handbrake that the employee on board could do.
 #1603295  by dieciduej

CRail wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:14 pm There is a major difference between "train air" and "straight air." Subway cars are straight air, wherein air applies the brakes. If there is no air, there are no brakes. Subway cars do employ a "brake pipe" referred to as train line pressure, but it does not function like a railroad brake pipe. Train line pressure simply holds valves closed to keep the train out of an emergency application. This way, if the train comes apart it allows the emergency valve to open resulting in an emergency application. Train air fills every car with air pressure and then controls that air with the brake pipe pressure.
I stand corrected regarding the braking systems.