• Federal, Night Owl, Twilight Shoreliner (Trains 65, 66, 67)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 427 posts
  by STrRedWolf

west point wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:30 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:30 am
Why the Sleeper cannot be added/cut with the engine at WAS escapes me.
That is a puzzle as the last figures heard was that operating a car costs $4.00 / mile ? 187 miles X 2 (RT) x $4.00 == $1496 - ~6 miles to / from Ivy city = $24. So net savings are ~ $1472. Another advantage is if that car is at WASH if a sleeper for MIA , New Orleans, or CHI is bad ordered there would be a replacement available. Now the times give Ivy City maintenance time to fix the bad order. Other possible ways would be to drop a single sleeper on an inbound to NYP.

Yes a regular cut off sleeper on the 3 sleeper trains is also a possibility. Maybe Amtrak does not have any parking space until VRE gets its own parking yard there ? a
I think it's more of an operational and cost standpoint. If I remember correctly, Amtrak is always pull operation, and turning anything but an Acela is a requirement. So to take out the sleepers at WAS, you have to turn that equipment around (swap ends)... which is a trip through Ivy City Couch Yard's wye. That ties up an engine, and I doubt a regular pusher will do. That's power cost, crew cost...

Also, look at 65/67's scheduling. It hits at 6:30a/7a respectively. That's rush time Monday through Friday. To get off the line ASAP you gotta hold MARC and WAS-terminus trains, you got the VRE coming in... you don't have the time.

So why go through that pain when you can just leave the car on? It'll get turned at Newport News.
  by Rockingham Racer

I don't think there is a real strong need to turn a sleeping car, especially when half the seats
in the roomettes are always going backwards anyway. The bedrooms are different story, but I've ridden backwards on a Superliner bedroom on the Capitol Limited. It's not the end of the world, especially on this particular train where you're on your back for most of the trip.
  by danib62

One of the bedrooms is going to be “backwards” no matter which direction the car is pointing.
  by west point

My thought was disconnect the motor and sleeper together just as the Palmetto has done. The motor pushes the sleeper back to the car layover spot then disconnects anyway to go to the motor servicing location. At night a motor backs onto sleeper and then may either pull forward or if rear is clear just back to the holding point waiting for 66. After diesel detaches motor pushes itself and sleeper onto front of 66.
I imagine there is a hostler crew that moves cars around IVY during the day and night depending on what kind of service is needed for any car.
  by RRspatch

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:35 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:30 am Mr. Dani, existing Labor Agreements call for one Attendant for each Sleeping Car.
What happened to Amtrak's plan to fix the call buttons and put attendants in the dorms since the attendant's room has been eliminated in the VIIs?
Someone figured Amtrak needed more baggage cars, some of which are in "axle count" service. Therefore Amtrak is short 15 VII Dorm cars. Twenty Five cars would have covered the Silvers, the Crescent, the Lake Shore and the Cardinal getting the OBS people out of the high priced rooms. Oh well.
  by BandA

Greg Moore wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:24 am
BandA wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:24 pm Why do you need the attendant south of Washington? Tell the passengers there is no attendant to assist, but allow them to continue to occupy the space. The sleeper is cleaned at the final destination, right? The passenger can return the room keys to a conductor? Luggage - becomes the passenger's problem?
Who do you think cleans and turns the car? It's the room attendant.
And what keys?
I haven't taken an Amtrak train yet; I assumed they locked the unused rooms, guess they don't need to. So if the passenger gets off at Washington, and the Attendant gets off at Washington too, but the train continues I'm confused how the room is cleaned / "linens" changed.
  by Greg Moore

The rooms have no locks.

Typically at one of the major stations a wrapped set of linens and a laundry bag will be dropped in the vestibule.
A car attendant will typically start changing linens a couple of hours before the final destination (my understanding is they don't get paid for work after the train arrives at its destination, hence an incentive to get things done before the arrive).
Then they bag stuff and drop it in the vestibule.

I believe as NYP, when the car is turned at Sunnyside, the dirty laundry will be exchanged for new. That said, with current COVID protocols, they may have updated things a bit.