Railroad Forums 

• Favourite car type

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

What's your favourite subway car?

Rohr 1000 #1
38%
Breda 2000 #2
6%
Breda 3000 #3
8%
Breda 4000 #4
11%
CAF-IND 5000 #5
37%
 #663434  by tommyboy6181

Wow...those do sound nice. Metro, here I come on Friday. And this time, I do hope to get the 5k/6k cars as those are still the sets I have never ridden in (last time in DC was 2 yrs ago). If fate holds true, the first ride as has happened every year since 1996 will end up being a Rohr. I don't plan that...it just seems to happen on the red line.
 #663440  by realtype

tommyboy6181 wrote:Wow...those do sound nice. Metro, here I come on Friday. And this time, I do hope to get the 5k/6k cars as those are still the sets I have never ridden in (last time in DC was 2 yrs ago). If fate holds true, the first ride as has happened every year since 1996 will end up being a Rohr. I don't plan that...it just seems to happen on the red line.
The Red Line has plenty of 6K's now; nearly every other train. I know what you mean though, up until a year ago virtually everything on the Red Line were Rohr's and 4K Bredas, with hardly any rehabbed 2K/3K's or 5K's. If you get a chance to ride on the Green Line though, you are virtaully guaranteed to ride a 6K since that's virtually all they operate.
 #663486  by tommyboy6181

Thats nice to know that the red line is finally running more 6k's. Last time in DC at Gallery Place, I just missed hitting up a 5k and ended up with a rehab instead (first time I rode 1 of those). It was a mixed consist of unrehabbed 3k/rehabbed 3k.
 #674629  by Silverliner II

I was down in DC on the 4th, and got my first experiences riding the 5K's and 6K's. But somehow....I still...STILL....have never managed to set foot on a 4K car!!

I got something better though, while on a Red Line short hop from Metro Center to Union Station: Rohr 1000....the one that started it all....

I'll be back in town on the 26th....got more riding to do!
 #674666  by tommyboy6181

I was down in DC on the 4th, and got my first experiences riding the 5K's and 6K's. But somehow....I still...STILL....have never managed to set foot on a 4K car!!
You will want to ride on the red line. When I was in DC a few weeks ago, I managed to see a good number of 4k's on that line and managed to ride them a few times. You need to watch for them though as they are mixed in with the 2/3k rehabs. The first trip on which I rode a 4k a few weeks ago, they were mixed in at the back of the train, the second- at the very front. I did see a few solid 4k trains still running on that line as well.
 #752369  by number1tfan

I voted for the Rohr because of their cool propulsion noise and their cream colored interiors. I honestly like them all though, there is very little difference between them.

As for propulsion noise, I like the Rohrs the best. I have always liked the noise that comes from the 1800s in Boston, so I really like the Rohr's propulsion. I like the other propulsion noises that the Bredas, CAFs, and Alstoms make too.

I prefer the cream and orange interior a bit over the red white and blue one. I like the warm feel the older interiors have, however I do like the newer ones too.

I like that the Alstoms have interior ASA displays. Do any cars have automatic stop announcements.

Also, I do prefer the brighter orange LEDs than the older green ones.

All in all, I don't really care that much about the differences between the cars, because they look so similar, but if I had to pick a favorite, the Rohrs would be my favorite.
 #752373  by tommyboy6181

No automated stop announcements as of yet. The only automated announcements on the 1000-6000 series are:
"Doors Opening. Step back to allow customers to exit. When boarding, please move to the center of the car."
"Step back, doors closing."
"Step back to allow the doors to close."

Now the 7000 series cars that are being bid on right now will include automated stop announcements in addition to the 3 listed above.
Last edited by tommyboy6181 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #783372  by Forest Glen

The Rohrs make that cool sound when they accelerate. The CAF's have a more modern appearance (though I wish they kept the orange seats).
 #820400  by SchuminWeb

Forest Glen wrote:The Rohrs make that cool sound when they accelerate. The CAF's have a more modern appearance (though I wish they kept the orange seats).
You know, it's funny you mention the orange seats. I've actually come to appreciate the orange seats on the Rohrs and the 4000's, though at the time the 5000-Series was introduced, I was glad to see a new color scheme. Now the 5000-Series scheme looks really cheesy, but the orange still has that certain staying power. I'll be glad to see a new color scheme on the 7000's, and have to admit I love the black floor and patterned seats on Alstom 6026-7.
 #842430  by tommyboy6181

I agree- the black pattern floor and the seats on 6026-7 are a nice improvement.
 #895871  by jayo

Head-end View wrote:Hey Rob: A little far from home aren't we? Chuckle! Are you lost? The D.C. Metro cars are all almost identical. Hard to tell one class from another. Though I do remember some have seating in the vestibule area & some don't. Don't remember if I saw the 5000's yet on last trip there a year ago.

But they sure have good top speeds don't they?! Ha, ha! Wonder if CSX Conductor ever rode THIS subway system......... :D
One thing that distinguishes the 1000 cars from the others is the destination signs on the side. The 1000 cars have two(one was converted to a PA on the rehabs), one over the window next to the doors on the ends. Later cars have one by the center door.
 #1029729  by Forest Glen

I'm not a fan of the seats on the 7000 series-they have the same dull color as the R160 seats. However, I like the overall layout. It has enough seats, but additional room for standees. I also like the FIND and the aesthetic improvements, including the glass partitions near the doors.