Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#177377  by doepack

Since 3 million is projected to be diverted from the capital improvement budget to supplement the fare increase in order to cover the budget shortfall, it's quite possible that some projects could be put on the back-burner for awhile. For more details...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst ... tra20.html

#179604  by metrarider

Can't really complain. Metra has been quite good at holding the line despite annual rates of inflation of between 2 and 4% exceeding the single 5% raise in fares I've seen on Metra in the past 5 years. (2000 - Jan 2005 inflation measured as whole over the period was ~13%). And given the increase in inflation this year (in particular with oil prices), it's not surprising Metra needs a 5% increase.

#179665  by doepack

Agreed. I think you can not only point to the recent spike in fuel costs, but I'm sure the added security costs since 9/11 also had more than a little to do with it as well. All things considered, frequent users of the system should continue to get plenty of bang for the buck...

#184782  by doepack

It's official...

Metra board OKs fare hike

By Virginia Groark
Tribune staff reporter
Published November 11, 2005, 1:46 PM CST

Like their CTA counterparts, Metra riders will have to pay more to ride the commuter rail lines next year now that the agency's board has signed off on a 5 percent fare hike.

Without discussion, the board today unanimously approved its $536 million 2006 operating budget containing the fare increase.

Barring any objection from the Regional Transportation Authority, the fare hike would go into effect Feb. 1. It will be the first increase since 2002 and fifth in Metra's 21-year history.

Metra staff last month cited skyrocketing fuel costs and increased security expenses in recommending higher fares.

Diesel fuel bills for 2005 are expected to be $42.2 million, $15.5 million more than budgeted. Security costs for the year have been estimated at $16.5 million, $1.3 million above budget thanks in part to heightened security following this summer's train bombings in London.

Metra uses a distance-based fare system, meaning the cost depends on the length of the trip.

A rider who travels between Zone A and Zones C, D, or E will see the price of a monthly pass increase by $4.05 or $5.40, requiring them to pay $48.60 or $64.80 more a year. A one-way fare for someone traveling between those same zones would jump by 15 or 20 cents. Ten-ride passes would increase by $1.30 or $1.70.

The fare increases would be nominal for most Metra riders. But those who also use CTA bus shuttles between train stations and their places of work in downtown Chicago will see a far higher jump in their commuting costs.

The CTA board this week voted to double the shuttle fare, to $2 from $1 a ride, beginning Jan. 1. The weekly cost to ride the shuttles twice every workday will go to roughly $80 a month from about $40 currently.

Even with the fare increase approved today, Metra still would be short of funds for its operating expenses. To help cover the gap, Metra will use capital dollars to cover operating expenses, tapping $32.9 million in capital, up from $15.1 million this year.

#491816  by metraRI

Regardless of whether or not the new Transit Bill is passed this week, Metra has decided to go ahead and raise fares anyway.
Metra to keep 10% fare hike
No increases seen for 2009 or 2010

By Richard Wronski

Tribune staff reporter

12:56 PM CST, January 11, 2008

Metra riders will still face a 10 percent fare increase starting Feb. 1, despite Springfield's action to avert a transit "doomsday" by tentative approval of new mass transit legislation.

Metra's board of directors on Friday decided to keep the previously approved fare hike, saying it would use half of the revenue to pay for day-to-day operations and the other half to replenish a capital fund that has been raided during the last several years.

Officials said it would probably eliminate the need for any fare increases in 2009 or 2010. In November, Metra had approved 10 percent fare hikes for those years as well.

Chairwoman Carole Doris said keeping the February fare hike was a "prudent business decision."

"We have robbed Peter to pay Paul for the last four years," she said, referring to the capital fund that has been depleted by about $168 million to cover operating shortfalls. Capital money is normally used for new equipment, infrastructure improvements and long-term needs.

Metra fares vary by distance, but riders who have been paying $105.30 for a monthly ticket—the cost of traveling between downtown and Orland Park, Arlington Heights or Flossmoor, for example—will pay $116.10 starting Feb. 1.

#491955  by MetraBNSF

I think its a fair deal for Metra to go ahead with the fare increase even if the transit deal is passed. For the quality of service Metra riders receive I'm surprised that we don't pay more than what we do now.

#493425  by Gilbert B Norman

Fare increases bring 'em on.

While I think it unwise to report fares here at the Forum, especially when they are readily available at any mass transit agency's website, but a review of the New York area's commuter railroads fare levels will show METRA is outright bargain basement. A 10% fare increase is hardly going to break any METRA rider - especially considering the quality of service offered.

To a related point, well OK folks "we have a deal'; quite predictably the "funding crisis" was averted, but part of the deal will be free rides for Senior Citizens on both CTA and METRA (as well as suburban bus PACE).

While who will qualify as well as an effective date is predictably "up in the air', it appears that there will be some kind of "litmus' (need) tests that must be met. This is a departure from the Governor's first pronouncements of "free rides for all Seniors", which would simply be absurd (disclaimer; I'm a 67 year old Senior and retired, but be assured I don't NEED a free METRA ride into town).

Illinois presently has a Seniors relief program in place named Circuit Breaker. The benefits offered to qualified participants range from free auto registration to free medications. Generally, Seniors with income of less than $20000 annually and no appreciable bank deposits or investments will qualify for some benefits. The apparently enacted free mass transit ought to be a benefit incorporated into this existing program, as the means of establishing "litmus" is already inherent in such.

#535554  by Gilbert B Norman

Well, today I guess I 'broke in' my Seniors Ride Free pass. I rode with a friend, whose husband is not well and "needs a little moral support' and was going home from work, all the way from Clarendon Hills to Westmont - walked home.

The BNSF Conductrix called it the Senior Golden Card..
 #727340  by metraRI

Metra proposed new fare increases today, putting most blame on seniors ride free. Weekend passes will go up to $7, weekday one-way fares will be raised by 30 cents, as well as the ticket surcharge to be raised to $5... a rate similar to other agencies. 10-ride and Monthly passes will not be raised.
 #727393  by metraRI

Proposed increases for one-way fares between downtown and the zone indicated:

Zone 2009 2010

A $2.15 $2.25

B $2.35 $2.50

C $3.35 $3.50

D $3.80 $4.00

E $4.30 $4.50

F $4.75 $5.00

G $5.15 $5.50

H $5.65 $6.00

I $6.10 $6.50

J $6.60 $7.00

K $7.05 $7.50

M $8.05 $8.50
To encourage riders to buy tickets at stations and over the Internet, Metra would increase the penalty for on-board purchases to $5 from $2. That penalty is not assessed on passengers who board at unmanned stations.

One-way fares would increase about 6 percent, an average of about 30 cents a ticket. In order to simplify on-board fare collection, the increases have been rounded to the nearest quarter, a practice common to other commuter rail operations in the United States. (Please see the fare chart on the next page for details.)

Weekend fares would increase to $7 from $5. This would be the first increase in the existence of the weekend fare program, which started in May 1991. During that time, Metra has raised its general fares four times (in 1996, 2002, 2006 and 2008). Weekend passes are good for unlimited rides on both Saturday and Sunday.
 #727461  by doepack

Just think: If the fare increases for both CTA and Metra are approved, a monthly Metra pass to either Oak Park or Evanston will be $20 cheaper than a CTA 30-day pass. Other existing in-city stations on Metra's diesel routes could definitely see a boost in ridership...
 #727606  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I noticed that METRA is now seeking to increase the on-board penalty surcharge from $2 to $5 with this next fare increase.
I understand how the higher on-board fare is a deterrent to encourage riders to purchase tickets in advance but how it is applied also should be noted.
I will compare METRA with the LIRR and NJ Transit here in my post as a comparison.

At one point all LIRR train crews carried cards showing all system ticket office hours-does METRA do the same?
I know and remember the Metra Electric's ticket machines-has METRA installed any ticket machines on any other of its lines or at any other terminal than Randolph/Millenium Station? The LIRR has ticket machines at all but a few low-ridership "exception" stations. There are many TVMs on NJ Transit's rail lines also.
Do train crews have discretion on how the METRA $2 penalty is charged as I believe? NJ Transit's train crews have but the LIRR's do not.
Will a higher on-board penalty surcharge increase the number of fare disputes on board trains as I suspect?

With the June 2009 fare increase the LIRR charges an average $6 extra on board. Other then the mentioned exception stations train crews must charge the higher on-board fare at all times. NJ Transit crews have flexibility to waive the $5 penalty if need be for a variety of reasons.
I feel that a penalty fare should be proportioned to the fare in question-as a example the LIRR charges a $2.50 one way local intermediate station fare-the on-board charge for this fare now is $9-3 1/2 times the station fare-far too high in my opinion. I feel that charging double on board-or $5-would be enough of a deterrent here.
METRA-and the LIRR for that matter- should have a surcharge proportioned for low-cost fares instead of $5 for all-like NJ Transit charges.
I will also mention that I am absolutely opposed to any extra charges when tickets are NOT available in advance.

More thoughts: Will METRA increase the $5 "override" penalty surcharge and the handling "fee" for accepting $50 and $100 bills on board?

Thoughts and opinion on this subject from MACTRAXX
 #727768  by doepack

MACTRAXX wrote:I know and remember the Metra Electric's ticket machines-has METRA installed any ticket machines on any other of its lines or at any other terminal than Randolph/Millenium Station?
No TVM's yet at any of the other downtown terminals, and the turnstiles at all Metra Electric stations were removed several years ago.
MACTRAXX wrote:Do train crews have discretion on how the METRA $2 penalty is charged as I believe? NJ Transit's train crews have but the LIRR's do not. Will a higher on-board penalty surcharge increase the number of fare disputes on board trains as I suspect?
New riders, or those who ride infrequently are the most likely to get hit with the on-board surcharges. Even though the rules are clear, and the conductors make the announcements frequently, many folks end up paying it anyway because they're too much in a hurry to get the tickets at the station while the agent is on duty...
MACTRAXX wrote:I feel that a penalty fare should be proportioned to the fare in question-as a example the LIRR charges a $2.50 one way local intermediate station fare-the on-board charge for this fare now is $9-3 1/2 times the station fare-far too high in my opinion. I feel that charging double on board-or $5-would be enough of a deterrent here. METRA-and the LIRR for that matter- should have a surcharge proportioned for low-cost fares instead of $5 for all-like NJ Transit charges. I will also mention that I am absolutely opposed to any extra charges when tickets are NOT available in advance.
Applying a "sliding scale" to surcharges based on the distance traveled, perhaps in a range between $2 and $6, is doable. But if something like that were implemented, it would likely still average out to about $5 or so when taken as a whole, so it's probably best to just use that as a flat fee...