Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by metrony

During the week the trains which run north of Croton-Harmon on the Hudson Line don't stop at Marble Hill in the Bronx. Instead a person has to get off at Croton-Harmon then take the local train down to the Bronx. Now, on the weekends the train north of Croton-Harmon do stop at Marble Hill.

What's the reason why don't these trains stop there during the week (besides being express straight to GCT)

Also,why is there such a HUGE difference in price between the Bronx and Manhattan. For instance a monthy ticket to GCT or 125st from Beacon is $315 (if you order online) while the last stop in the Bronx before crossing over the bridge to 125st is $190. What's up with that? GCT or 125st should be no more than $250.
  by mkm4

metrony wrote:During the week the trains which run north of Croton-Harmon on the Hudson Line don't stop at Marble Hill in the Bronx. Instead a person has to get off at Croton-Harmon then take the local train down to the Bronx. Now, on the weekends the train north of Croton-Harmon do stop at Marble Hill.

What's the reason why don't these trains stop there during the week (besides being express straight to GCT)
Because the trains are already full.

by metrony

People get on Marble Hill to GCT? Most people use the 1 train to get to the city. This stop would be more of letting people off and then taking the subway down the west side of Manhattan.
  by Nester

metrony wrote:During the week the trains which run north of Croton-Harmon on the Hudson Line don't stop at Marble Hill in the Bronx. Instead a person has to get off at Croton-Harmon then take the local train down to the Bronx. Now, on the weekends the train north of Croton-Harmon do stop at Marble Hill.

Also,why is there such a HUGE difference in price between the Bronx and Manhattan. For instance a monthy ticket to GCT or 125st from Beacon is $315 (if you order online) while the last stop in the Bronx before crossing over the bridge to 125st is $190. What's up with that? GCT or 125st should be no more than $250.
I respectfully suggest you look at the timetable. AM Inbound Peak trains that serve the Upper Hudson (north of Croton) do not stop at Marble Hill. Almost all the other inbound trains do.

AM Outbound Peak trains do stop at Marble Hill, as do most non-peak outbound trains at other times.

There are two inbound AM Peak electric expresses that do serve Croton and Marble Hill. Could you take one of those trains?

Nester
  by metrony

Nester wrote:

I respectfully suggest you look at the timetable. AM Inbound Peak trains that serve the Upper Hudson (north of Croton) do not stop at Marble Hill. Almost all the other inbound trains do.

AM Outbound Peak trains do stop at Marble Hill, as do most non-peak outbound trains at other times.

There are two inbound AM Peak electric expresses that do serve Croton and Marble Hill. Could you take one of those trains?

Nester
I definitely could take those trains, but my point being is why don't one or two trains for severing the upper hudson line don't stop at Marble Hill. Instead I would have to get off at Croton and then wait 15-20 minutes for the electric trains to take me down to Corton seeing how the Diesel trains don't stop there.

by Nester

I hate to seem petty, but the overwhelming majority of riders work in Manhattan or other destinations where it would be benefical for them to leave the train at 125th or Grand Central Terminal.

On the off chance that I board an AM peak inbound train that stops at Croton-Harmon, so few (non-MN employee) passengers get off the train that I would question any change of schedule that would add a stop to any of those trains at Tarrytown, Yonkers, or Marble Hill. While you (and a handful of other riders) would benefit from a Marble Hill stop, hundreds more passengers appreciate the faster ride into Manhattan.

Nester

by pnaw10

Nester wrote:I hate to seem petty, but the overwhelming majority of riders work in Manhattan or other destinations where it would be benefical for them to leave the train at 125th or Grand Central Terminal.
Metrony, that same reason also explains why there's such a difference between the fares to Bronx stations and the fares to 125th and GCT. It's a classic case of supply and demand... when something's in high demand, you can charge a little more and people will still pay.

In this case, the highest demand comes from people who need to get to 125th or GCT, between 5:30 and 10AM... so that's when MN charges it's peak fares. Even outside of those times, the most popular destinations are 125th and GCT, so they charge a little more for those stops, than if you went the same distance between two other stops elsewhere in the system.

To put it another way... it's the same reason the flower industry jacks up the prices for roses during the first part of February. They know suckers like me will be looking to get a dozen for the little lady more now, than at any other time of the year... so they take the opportunity to cash in. Just like Metro North knows an overwhelming majority of riders need to get into Manhattan in the morning, and back home in the afternoon... so they take advantage of it.

Having family that live near Marble Hill though, I feel your pain. When we used to live in New Hamburg back in the 80's, it was torture because we would ALWAYS have to change trains at Croton-Harmon, and it was almost always a 30-minute wait for the local. Back then, there were NO semi-express trains stopping at Marble Hill... locals were the only option, no matter what day or time it was. And the current waiting area above the platforms wasn't there for most of that time... just a dingy, no-frills overpass, and platform shelters that provided little comfort for my parents (sometimes both, sometimes just one) trying to manage the luggage, as well as my sister and I, who were both under 10 at the time. And I thought I had it bad, just standing around and waiting... looking back I can only imagine how much they must have "enjoyed" the whole production of taking us to the city...