Railroad Forums 

• Factoryville Tunnel

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#184998  by Bucyrus6150

Anyone have any pictures of the old tunnel off Route 6 when it was still being used?
 #185105  by henry6

Check Taber's DL&W in the 19th CEntury; and 2Oth Century volumes I & II. ALso there is a book about the Scranton trolley system and its line to MOntrose that may have a picture.
 #185423  by henry6

Great shots, Scrap. Too bad it is so overgrown you almost can't get in there today! West portals are blocked and covered up, never found them. Also have been told to be aware of the copperheads in that area.

#185534  by Bucyrus6150

Its not grown in too bad this time of year. You can just go through some guys yard over on the left and go down the embankment there, the other side by the highway is full of pickers. Only thing is all the water drains down to where the ROW used to be and fills up with like 8" - 12" of water and makes the ground like quicksand.

I've never been to the west end yet, but I found them on this aerial photo. I'll have to go out next weekend and look around.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/76210ec747.jpg
Last edited by Bucyrus6150 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#185536  by Bucyrus6150

LOL, this isnt my day, for some reason I labeled the east end as the north end on the pic....
 #185546  by henry6

Can't get pic. Reload pls.

#185574  by Bucyrus6150

Is it coming up for you now?
 #185603  by henry6

Got it, thanks...now I know why I never found the west (north) portal! Been looking on the wrong side of the road! But don't see trolley roadbed which should be to the left.
 #185833  by henry6

Could be, definitely looks like it and where it should be. It also had a tunnel. Thanks again.

#186237  by Bucyrus6150

I'll have to go out and look around for that too when the weather gets warmer.

You wouldnt happen to know anything about the Lehigh Valley line that went along the Susquehanna river through here would you? I heard there was a tunnel for that too.

#186263  by Andyt293

Do a search for "Vosburg" tunnel. The Vosburg tunnel is located North (actually probably West) of Tunkhannock.
 #186302  by henry6

Vosburgh tunnel is east of the Charmin plant and is supposedly approachable by turning off 87 before reaching the plant. OR, from the very top of the hill, less than a half mile east of 87 (on 6), go down the road with the sign "Vosburgh". At the bottom of the hill you'll bridge the track in front of the east hole.

#186531  by Bucyrus6150

Do they still use that line? In a recent photo I found online of it it looks like it hasnt been used in years - weeds growing on the ROW and everything. Then I just saw a picture of an R&N SD40-2 near it taken in 2003....