Railroad Forums 

• Factoryville Tunnel

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

YES

#186568  by henry6

Yes, the R&N comes up to Charmin...NS comes down from NY to Charmin, too.
 #186584  by brward

The double bore tunnels were shared by the DL&W and by the Northern Electric. Both bores are in impeccable shape for there age. Both are passable with a cross shaft inside. The "newer" tunnel is located on the other side of Route 11 up on the hill. There are access points to both ends, however, CP Police are not to nice to trespassers. If you are to brave it and sneak a peak, the "newer" tunnel is worth the investigation. Brick lined with two massive air shafts. Vosburg is located outside the village of Tunkhannock which is a short drive (20 mins.) from Nicholson. The RBMN does in fact use this ex-Lehigh Valley tunnel. This tunnel as well is worth the investigation. There is access at both ends. The only area that the Lehigh Valley went to "relatively" close was Montrose. That line came in from the west, the Northern Electric and DL&W came in from the east. As for pictures capturing the original double bores live, I have been searching for years and have yet to come across any. Hope this info helps.

Brian

www.trainworks.net/

#186589  by Bucyrus6150

I actually live about 1/8 of a mile from the north end of the newer tunnel. Theres a few pictures of it I took on this site of it: http://rr-fallenflags.org/el/bldg/pa.html (Scroll down to the Nicholson Viaduct - the last 5 are mine). And you're right about the CP police too, they stopped me a few weeks ago while riding my bike along the path by the tracks down by the south end of the tunnel.

#187630  by calorosome

That link to the Factoryville tunnel was neat. A couple of years ago I pulled over to get a closer look of the portals. Two things were obvious - the ROW approaching the portals were private property, and the ROW did NOT look like stable ground that I would set foot in (looked like quicksand).

I looked in the wrong place for the west portals too, now the aerial photos tell where they are.

I wouldn't ever explore abandoned tunnels, they're extremely dangerous. Take note of "undergroundminers" in the URL, these guys know what they're doing.

#189109  by harmon44

Are these tunnels off Rt. 11 or Rt. 6. I travel trough this area 4 or 5 times a year and would like to know where this old right of way is? Thanks in advance.

#189157  by calorosome

The tunnels are near rt 11.

As you head north on rt 11, south of Tunkhannock Viaduct, rt 11 will be fairly level before it ascends a big hill. The south tunnel portals are at the base of this hill, west of rt 11 - I mean right next to the highway. When the foliage is down during winter months you can see the portals as you drive.
 #1291434  by Missyg24

On Google Maps Im looking for the old tunnels. how far from the RT 6 & 11 split is it... I see where the current one is & would like to see it if i was daring enough one day lol. Since i drove up to the old Nicholson station last yr with my bf. I am from Elmira NY where DLW ran thru (same with Erie) & Love to learn more about things daily. Alot of knowledge helps me understand the past.
 #1291651  by ricebrianrice

My father grew up on the hill just south of the Vosburg tunnel, and told me one of the dumbest things he ever did as a teenager was drive his 56 Chevy through the tunnel!