Railroad Forums 

• FA's in Passenger Service

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#183862  by atlpete

Recently purchased Morning Sun's, Lehigh Valley vol2 and was surprised and delighted to see photos of LV passenger train being pulled by an A-B FA set in winter due to the 'Valley doubling up their PA's for extra power and heat. I thought I had a complete list of the roads, including foreign, where FA's served in this capacity BUT apparently not. So any additions to below list would be greatly appreciated especially if you can site reference/source. Ive seen photos of all the following
CN(famously), Cuba, Unidos de Yucatan, NdeM (got to be some more foreign rds. did this, anyone?) with MP, GN, SP&S, regularly scheduled, B&O, L&N, LV, SLSF, RI "pinch hitters". at least according to photo captions or video. Never seen one on the following- NYC, PRR, NH, RDG, GM&O, C&NW, MKT, SOO(maybe mixed like SP&S?) UP, EL, WAB omitting freight only roads like AA, GB&W, TC etc.
Anyone else got one?
Also, for clarity I'm referring to pulling engines(no LI sleds), original or "regular" roads as opposed to tourista's, excursions, or museums. TIA

#185621  by Ol' Loco Guy

The New Haven used FA's in Boston commuter service as needed.
 #186017  by skeeda

pages 62-63 of the new TLC book on the Tennessee Central show one of their FAs working a passenger train

#188786  by SSW9389

L&N had 5 FPA-2s #350-352 and #383-384. Source L&N Diesel locomotives by Castner, Flanary, & Gordon p. 29. Note says these units were often used to power the Kentucky Derby Specials each year.

#188788  by SSW9389

Pacifico #901-904 were FPA-2s built in 5/54. Source X2233.

#191145  by Tadman

Foggy memory: Some J. Parker Lamb photos of GM&O FA's pulling a passenger train. Black and white photos. Published in Trains Illustrated originally, but recently in Trains again. Good luck finding them, as I think my TI copies are long gone. What a great magazine that was.
 #193446  by atlpete

Thanks to all for posts, my list has grown and my appetite whetted for finding photos of all, except the Pacifico's - I should have remembered that one myself, thanks SSW9389. I hope someone does a book on the FD-Pacifico in the near future like the morning sun volume on the NdeM, (ChP would be nice too) Likewise comparatively GM&O passenger service has been languishing in obscurity too, especially the non-Alton lines south of St Louis, love those Dl's and PA's (and even FA's!) maybe Lamb or Goen will rise to the challange. TA

#200942  by stargate

Don't forget that CN sent units to VIA. :-D