Railroad Forums 

• Ex-NYC Line through Cohoes, NY?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#21749  by steve levine

I rode my bike last weekend here from Cohoes to Colonie along the Mohawk bikeway/RR trail.What line was this?What year did it shut down?I have RR maps to see where it goes,I was just wondering the history.Thanks in advance.
 #21803  by coalmine

Delaware and Hidson.

work safe

#21811  by steve levine

Most RR maps say its NYC,but logically it connects to D&H lines at each end.Any idea when it saw its last trains?Its an awesome trail for cycling BTW,40 miles.

#21935  by onder

Line is ex NYC I think. Started at Troy Union, crossed the river
on the DH bridge, goes (went) to its own row upon
exit..parallels the DH line out to the DH passenger main ,
bridge is still there but no deck I think. THis is over rt 32
if Im remembering correctly. The DH Ys out here north
and south to the main. Out of service since GI branch was
closed. NYC keeps rising due west for a spell and then turns
north heading for Cohoes. In Cohoes, it is a few blocks
west of the DH line which still runs.
It is a long climbing turn headed up to the Mohawk.
Crossed rt 9 and the Interstate .
I think it finally died in the late 60's.
 #22136  by coalmine

I meant to put a question mark after Delaware and Hudson (and spell it correctly); sorry about that. I'll start looking through some of my material and see what I can find.

work safe

#22318  by oakwood

I grew up in Troy and remember that around 10 AM a 0-6-0 NYC switcher
would pass through the Station and head for Cohoes using the method defined previously. I don't remember how /when it returned. I assume it was based in South Troy.I could not find it in the Employees Timetable hat I have #64 for 9/28/1947
There was also a late afternoon freight that use the same path, but went Schenectady The number was 803, and arrived in Schenectady around 7:15 PM
It rerurned as #802 leaving at 10 AM the next day and arriving at 1:45 PM. The train was led by 2-8-2. I used to know the number, but was years ago.
Ah, for the good old days.

Oakwood

#23707  by CREngineer

The majority of the Bike Trail was in fact the NYC, which ran from Troy, across the Green Island Bridge, crossed over top of the D&H main at WX and wound it's way to Schenectady Station. It crossed over the Northway at grade just south of the twin bridges and originally crossed the D&H at SS (State Street in Schenectady, now CPF 485) on a diamond. I think it was known as the T&S branch, and i recall an old enployee timetable referring to as the Aqueduct Secondary(Penn Central era) as well. About 1976, the D&H took over the East end of it for about a year to serve someone around the Cohoes area, but it didn't last very long. I think if you read the Final System Plan done by the USRA in '75, it is all spelled out what was abandoned by Conrail and what was transferred to the D&H, albeit for only about a year.

Hope some of this helps......