Railroad Forums 

• ex-CNJ GP40P Units

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1188862  by ChrisU

ApproachMedium wrote:Newark crews have been trained on both pieces of equipment for a while now.
Oh, could the P40s be used on the return of the Hoboken trains or do you think this is just a completely unrelated coincident?
 #1188883  by Jtgshu

I would assume it was a test move that also had a shop move involved as well. They like to do that. "Go test this stuff down the Coast Line and while you're in Long Branch, pick up this that and the other thing"
 #1188891  by ChrisU

Jtgshu wrote:I would assume it was a test move that also had a shop move involved as well. They like to do that. "Go test this stuff down the Coast Line and while you're in Long Branch, pick up this that and the other thing"
Oh, thanks.
 #1189056  by ns3010

The 4104 has been outshopped from its work unit rebuild. Several exterior changes and it looks... interesting.
 #1189965  by AlliedSignal3674

Does anyone know what the output ratings are of these locos in terms of HEP and traction power, pre and post '91 rebuild.
Are they still 3,000 HP across the board (regardless of the rebuild)? Also did the HEP output decrease (or increase) post '91 rebuild?
 #1190173  by NJT4272

ns3010 wrote:The 4104 has been outshopped from its work unit rebuild. Several exterior changes and it looks... interesting.
Well then how about some insider, top secret, exclusive, clandestinely-acquired photos of her from inside the MMC!

Foaming minds want to know!

Come on, JT. Snap a few for us!
 #1190210  by Jtgshu

hahaha Jeff, Ive seen a few pics, but I haven't gotten up close to check her out. Has bolt on numberboards....kinda ehhhh but whatever, thats NJTs new thing. Lost the strobe lights, and also lost its bell, but has an E-bell mounted in the same spot. The long hood was shortened a little bit, and regular steps were put on the back end of the loco. The HEP radiator area is plated over, but it keeps its "flair'edness" (thats a cool word!)
 #1190218  by NJT4272

Jtgshu wrote:hahaha Jeff, Ive seen a few pics, but I haven't gotten up close to check her out. Has bolt on numberboards....kinda ehhhh but whatever, thats NJTs new thing. Lost the strobe lights, and also lost its bell, but has an E-bell mounted in the same spot. The long hood was shortened a little bit, and regular steps were put on the back end of the loco. The HEP radiator area is plated over, but it keeps its "flair'edness" (thats a cool word!)
Last week, I was working directly across Route 508 from The Club. So close, I could here NJT power idling. I thought about trying to sneak up to the fences to see what I could see, but my days ran late and with lots of problems so I decided against it.

Also, I didn't feel like being hassled or questioned. I'm sure if that happened, saying; "But wait - I know Jtgshu" would have gotten me a beating on top of being detained.

But yeah....... take a few pictures. Kearny ain't my favorite place in the world to visit.
 #1190267  by ChrisU

Here's some pictures, not taken by me....
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4277_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8485_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heard the unit has some kind of cab signal problem or something that prevents it from going over 50.
 #1190273  by NJT4272

NJTArrow2 wrote:Here's some pictures, not taken by me....
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4277_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8485_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heard the unit has some kind of cab signal problem or something that prevents it from going over 50.
Thank you, Sir, for the sneak peak.

Ok.......... 4 points....

(1) Those number boards are hideous. Do we really need to obliterate aesthetics in the interest of cost & efficiency? Number boards are one of the few things you shouldn't mess with on a locomotive. They were perfect the way they were originally designed.

(2) That E-bell looks ridiculous up there. Put the mechanical bell back. Besides, in that location and at that height, the operational benefits of an E-bell are not necessary.

(3) Where's the NJT logo on the B-end? Is there no one skilled in that art at the club either?

(4) When are they gonna put at least a makeshift paint booth in the MMC? Now, much like when NJT first put HEP in the CNJ GP-40's, the aft ends of the long hoods look like they've been painted with spray cans of Dupli-Color! They went through all that work and fabrication on the hood and then made it look like crap with a paint job that would shame even a first-year vo-tech class. If little shops like the Morristown & Erie or the New Hope & Ivyland can turn out beautifully painted locomotives, I would hope that NJT could at least do better than a ghetto spray can paint job. Hell! I did a better job in Boonton with house paint from Lowe's, spraying with compressed air out of the trunk of my car!

Of course, if it were up to me, I would have taken this opportunity to create a CNJ heritage unit in an 'as-delivered' livery.

That is all.

Carry on. LOL!
 #1221441  by 25Hz

Photos not working for anyone else? Am interested to see!
 #1221448  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:Photos not working for anyone else? Am interested to see!
They pics in the quote are the ones that don't work for me.
Last edited by morris&essex4ever on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.