Railroad Forums 

• Erie Railroad Rochester Division

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1194371  by Otto Vondrak

I am doing research about the Erie Railroad Rochester Division (Rochester-Painted Post/Corning). Where can I find employee timetables that cover this line? Was the Rochester Division combined with others? I am interested in acquiring an employee timetable from 1939, but also interested in other eras as well as the Division was cut back and reduced.

Any leads are appreciated.

-otto vondrak
http://www.rgvrrm.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1199549  by Otto Vondrak

Good leads, but I'm also looking at acquiring my own copies and I was trying to figure out if the Rochester Branch fell into the Meadville Division or the Western District or what because that's all I can find on eBay...

-otto-
 #1199603  by Otto Vondrak

tjdean wrote:This website has Erie Buffalo/Rochester division ETT from 1939 to 1956:
http://www.jon-n-bevliles.net/RAILROAD/ ... _buff.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way, that link was perfect as it had a Rochester/Buffalo Div. ETT from 1939... Thank you, that helps me know what I'm looking for!

-otto-
 #1218485  by Otto Vondrak

72 years ago today...
Erie to Drop Avon Service After Today -- Final Passenger Train to Leave at 6:15 p.m.

Eighty-seven years of Erie Railroad passenger service for Rochester will come to an end at 6:15 p.m. today, when the last train leaves the Court St Station for Avon. But increased freight business in and out of Rochester means a virtual rejuvenation of the line, which once had frequent passenger service to points south of the city in the Genesee Valley. All the Rochester personnel of the passenger department is being absorbed by the freight agency because of heavy shipping, James H. Higgins, local representative s of the Erie, pointed out.

The Erie received permission from the Public Service Commission to abandon its Avon-Rochester passenger service because of poor financial return. In return, the PSC authorized Valley Bus Lines to operate a bus line via West Henrietta Road into Avon. The line seeks to change its route to the East river Road, which parallels the Erie tracks along a great part of the way to Avon.

—Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, Sept. 30, 1941
 #1218599  by s4ny

Interesting that the Erie crossed from the east side of the Genesee to the
station on Court Street on the west side.

......Image[/URL]

......Image[/URL]

The original NY Central Station was on the west side of the Genesee and it was
an important transfer point for passengers when these were the only 2 railroads
in Rochester.
Later the BR&P came to the west side also, but the NYC moved to the east side.

The LV came last and stayed on the east side.
 #1326477  by Schafer

I had 6 relatives work on the Rochester Division from engineer to fireman, so I believe that I can answer your inquiry. The timetables for the division (and it was an Erie division ) can be found on any Erie Timetable under Rochester division. William Reed Gorden's Erie Railroad Rochester Division also has a copy of a timetable w/standard train orders for the entire division. My father worked on this and the Susquahanna divisions. He always referred to the route that began at the wye off of the Avon yards west to Attica as part of the Buffalo Division, however it was officially referred to as the Attica Branch which was one of three branches from Avon, New York. Avon was the junction of the Erie Railroad's Avon Branch (Avon-Attica), Corning Branch (Avon to Corning), and Mount Morris Branch (Rochester to Mount Morris. This branch was electrified up until the mid thirtys)

Attica Branch

Westbound

247 297 Stations

--- 1800 Rochester

0900 1900 Avon

1030 2045 Batavia

--- 2100 Attica

Eastbound

298 246 Stations

0100 ---- Attica

==== 1255 Batavia

0230 1430 Avon

0315 ---- Rochester

PRINCIPAL FREIGHT CONNECTIONS;Buffalo;CN,N&W,B&O,PC,THB,SB,BCK;Niagara Falls and Lockport;PC, Niagara Falls,Buffalo; C&O;Silver Springs;B&O;Batavia;PC,Caledonia;PC,G&W,LV,B&O.