Railroad Forums 

• Erie Campbell Hall station

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#929110  by walterconklin

Hello,

Where was the location of the Erie Campbell Hall station when the railroad completed construction of the Graham Line? I am also wondering where were the locations of the Woodbury and Bullsville Erie stations.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Walter Conklin
 #929155  by Roadgeek Adam

walterconklin wrote:Hello,

Where was the location of the Erie Campbell Hall station when the railroad completed construction of the Graham Line? I am also wondering where were the locations of the Woodbury and Bullsville Erie stations.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Walter Conklin
The original Campbell Hall station isn't too far from the current one.

Anything on the Middletown & Crawfordville Branch (Middletown - Pine Bush) was near NY 302. Bullville was the same (no s). Woodbury I am not sure.
 #929416  by Roadgeek Adam

walterconklin wrote:Hello, Here is a link to an image I found of the Erie Campbell Hall station: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... hallny.jpg. I take it the station was located on the Graham Line and not the Montgomery Branch.

Sincerely,
Walter
I apologize, Campbell Hall was on the Montgomery Branch. In the original Graham Line, there was no stations built. It was meant to be a high-speed freight line. Campbell Hall was right where the branch to Maybrook forked from the Montgomery Branch. Remember, the Montgomery Branch was the only way the Erie could get to New England markets until the Graham Line was built. MQ connected the two and as a result, made more room for markets.

As for Bullville, I don't have a perfect answer, but if you're to find the Bullville Station, it looks like the complex was off the opposite side of the Thompson Ridge Landscape Supply on Lybolt Road. The right-of-way is mismarked by Google Maps as an existing road, Street View confirms the wrong of that.
 #929421  by Marty Feldner

The Campbell Hall station wasn't on the Graham Line. The Graham was built by the Erie circa 1904-1909 as a freight-only route to by pass the main line. As such, there were no passenger stations anywhere on the Graham. The Campbell Hall station was on the Montgomery branch, and predated the Graham by about 40 years. It was about where the caboose is on display now- north of 207, between Neelytown Road and Erie Street. In fact, the area around the station was used as a staging area for materials for the building of the Graham. The caboose can be seen on Bing Maps, angled aerial view.

The Bullville station (as mentioned, no 's') was just north of Rt. 17K; the ROW crossed a little east of Lunny Lane (east of Rt. 302). Again, on Bing Maps the ROW can be discerned.

Woodbury is harder to explain. It was on the Newburgh Short-Cut, between Highland Mills and Mountainville. It was located where the Short-Cut crossed over Rt. 32 on a bridge; on the east side of the road, and about 15 feet higher. It also predated the Graham by about 40 years. When the Graham Line was built, it was on a fill another 25 or so feet higher than the Short-Cut. The current Woodbury Viaduct passed over it and Rt. 32, making a three-level crossing. Again, traces of the ROW can be seen on Bing Maps between 32 and the Viaduct.

Walter, you should really consider building up a real library (the printed kind, not the web). Most of your many questions are covered in a few books. The above information is in large part from Vol. XI of "The Next Station Will Be...", including pictures (from 1910) of all of these stations. It's still available.
 #929427  by Roadgeek Adam

Marty Feldner wrote:The Campbell Hall station wasn't on the Graham Line. The Graham was built by the Erie circa 1904-1909 as a freight-only route to by pass the main line. As such, there were no passenger stations anywhere on the Graham. The Campbell Hall station was on the Montgomery branch, and predated the Graham by about 40 years. It was about where the caboose is on display now- north of 207, between Neelytown Road and Erie Street. In fact, the area around the station was used as a staging area for materials for the building of the Graham. The caboose can be seen on Bing Maps, angled aerial view.

The Bullville station (as mentioned, no 's') was just north of Rt. 17K; the ROW crossed a little east of Lunny Lane (east of Rt. 302). Again, on Bing Maps the ROW can be discerned.

Woodbury is harder to explain. It was on the Newburgh Short-Cut, between Highland Mills and Mountainville. It was located where the Short-Cut crossed over Rt. 32 on a bridge; on the east side of the road, and about 15 feet higher. It also predated the Graham by about 40 years. When the Graham Line was built, it was on a fill another 25 or so feet higher than the Short-Cut. The current Woodbury Viaduct passed over it and Rt. 32, making a three-level crossing. Again, traces of the ROW can be seen on Bing Maps between 32 and the Viaduct.

Walter, you should really consider building up a real library (the printed kind, not the web). Most of your many questions are covered in a few books. The above information is in large part from Vol. XI of "The Next Station Will Be...", including pictures (from 1910) of all of these stations. It's still available.
Don't forget the wye at MQ is not the full size, considering the Montgomery Branch went south via Kipps and soon became the Pine Island Branch at Goshen. A visible right-of-way is barely visible in the woods south of the current Campbell Hall station.

Also, one thing with The Next Station Will Be, most of the pages are one-liners but usually has juicy information. You most of the time will not get street locations.
 #929495  by walterconklin

Thank you Marty and Roadgeek Adam for taking the time to address my questions.

You are so right Marty that I should build up my collection of local, as in Orange County, NY, railroad books. Although I have one college degree, I am relying too much on the Internet for information about the railroad history in Orange County to compensate for not being currently in Orange County. So, I rely on the helpful information provided by railroad historians like you Marty and Adam as I am away at college (again) in Pennsylvania.

I actually have amassed quite a collection of Railroadiana and books, but they are home in Maryland. I have my great-grandfather's MoPac cap and name tag in my railroad collection. One of my great-grandfathers worked for the Missouri Pacific. One of my most treasures possessions is the actual safe from the former Erie passenger station in Middletown, NY, the actual 13 foot sign from the Erie Middletown freight house, a 1900s railroad stock book, a couple of Louisville & Nashville pencils and pads given to me by my grandfather's friend, who retired from the L&N financial department, a large Conrail bright green MOW bag complete with real flairs given to me by a Conrail employee when I was in my early teens, a Middletown & New Jersey Railway crossing gate sign given to me by the railroad, and a copy of my Conrail Stock Certificate for the $100 worth of shares I purchased in 1996 just before the merger! I think I came out slightly ahead financially because of the merger.

I collect estoric railroadiana.
 #929517  by walterconklin

Hello,

Please find attached a screenshot of the virtual representation of the Erie Montgomery Branch in the Village of Campbell Hall.

I am trying to find what period was the Montgomery Branch double track. Did the line have telegraph poles? My friend says he can make the trackage in the virtual route double track if the line was that way in the late 1920s, which is the period for the virtual route.

Thank you everyone for the helpful information you have given me.

Sincerely,
Walter Conklin
 #959454  by Roadgeek Adam

I thought this would be interesting to show in retrospect:

Taken July 22, 2011. It's rather amazing that the amount of relics stored there.