Railroad Forums 

• Enhanced Rail Schedule on July 3rd

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1337875  by nick11a

NJT is running an enhanced holiday schedule tomorrow for the observed holiday. One thing that caught my eye was that they're running the two MidTOWN Direct Gladstone sets into and out of New York. 8404 and 8406 are the inbound sets and 8431 and 8433 are the outbound sets. The usual trains these sets operate on during weekdays are 6406 and 6410 inbound and 6431 and 6437 outbound. This is the first time I've noticed them operating Gladstone MidTOWN trains to/from NYC on a weekend/holiday.

For those that don't know, the first two digits of the train number indicate the line and type of service: 64 is Gladstone MidTOWN Direct on Weekdays and 84 is Gladstone MidTOWN Direct on Weekends/Holidays. The last two digits tell you two things: east or west direction (east trains are even numbers and west trains are odd numbers; ACL is North and South) and the order of the train relative to other trains on the same line according to the time of day. A train in the wee hours of the AM would have a low number: 01 (west) or 02 (east) or instance. A train in the late hours of the PM would have a high number pushing towards 99.

I'm wondering how crowded these trains will be.... or lacktherof to be more accurate. Most people will be off tomorrow and these trains usually have one with 8 Multilevels and and one with 9 Multilevels. As one last note, these trains are operating practically local with only skipping a stop or two each.

Morris and Essex Enhanced July 3rd Schedule: http://www.njtransit.com/AdminTemp/morris7315.pdf
 #1337876  by Amtrak7

They run those Gladstone directs on MLK & President's Day, this appears to be the same schedule.

In terms of ridership, heck, the LIRR's running a Friday!
 #1337881  by srock1028

The stock market is closed on Friday, but it looks like banks will be open. I believe its the same on MLK and Pres. Day, which is the same type of service that will operate on July 3rd.
 #1337904  by nick11a

Amtrak7 wrote:They run those Gladstone directs on MLK & President's Day, this appears to be the same schedule.

In terms of ridership, heck, the LIRR's running a Friday!
Well, this is still a step up in service. For many years, this wasn't the case.
 #1337944  by nick11a

8404 was a somewhat rare (for Gladstone) set of a 8 single level coaches. 8406 was the usual 9 car Multilevel set.

Also, it seems that the extra Dover/New York trains are operating under the number "89xx" as opposed to the usual 69xx. Incidentally, 69 is also the forum code for the NJT Rail For here on RR.net.
 #1340319  by jamesinclair

A few weeks late but....

Went to Philly for July 4th, via NJTransit + Septa.

Fireworks didnt go off until 11:25pm, meaning the 11:50pm train to Trenton didnt depart until 30 minutes later (12:20).

That means we were going to miss the last NJ Transit train (1am). Fortunately for me (and maybe 60 other folks who were transferring), NJTransit waited the 30 minutes or so for us to arrive.

I thought that was very nice of them. What was not nice was the stress because NJ Transit did not publish any information online as to whether the last train would hold for the transfer.
 #1340336  by nick11a

jamesinclair wrote:A few weeks late but....

Went to Philly for July 4th, via NJTransit + Septa.

Fireworks didnt go off until 11:25pm, meaning the 11:50pm train to Trenton didnt depart until 30 minutes later (12:20).

That means we were going to miss the last NJ Transit train (1am). Fortunately for me (and maybe 60 other folks who were transferring), NJTransit waited the 30 minutes or so for us to arrive.

I thought that was very nice of them. What was not nice was the stress because NJ Transit did not publish any information online as to whether the last train would hold for the transfer.
Thirty minutes? That's one heck of a hold. Wow, that's got to be up there.