Railroad Forums 

• E-rail question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1115890  by RailsEast

Heard something new tonight, typical automated detector voice..."Conrail, Express Rail Defect Detector, North Lead, over...".
(a) Never heard a detector within a facility before
(b) Are they doing away with car inspectors??
(c) In the 2-way radio world, "over" is used before a reply is expected; didn't hear a reply, can a detector even be replied to?
Definitely sounded unusual, anyone have more info?
Chris
 #1116457  by wolfboy8171981

RailsEast wrote:Heard something new tonight, typical automated detector voice..."Conrail, Express Rail Defect Detector, North Lead, over...".
(c) In the 2-way radio world, "over" is used before a reply is expected; didn't hear a reply, can a detector even be replied to?
Chris
For the record, Express Rail is not E-Rail. Express Rail is the Elizabeth Marine Terminal, and E-Rail is the NS van site at east side of the old E-port Yard.

A)This detector has been in place but out of service for a while. It was orginally placed in service when the Bergen tunnel was enlarged and the High Car Dector at CP-Green removed from service. It was though that if the HCD caught the car before it left Port Newark all would be right in the world. There also is a HCD on the PNCT lead, although I think this is still OOS.
B) Both EZMT, and PNCT have private contractors that preform the Initial Terminal Tests on the tracks at each location, and as far as I know, provide a brake slip as such. This has gone on since the CR split I beleive.
C) All dectors require the crew to answer the dector defects or not.
 #1116486  by Ken W2KB

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
RailsEast wrote:Heard something new tonight, typical automated detector voice..."Conrail, Express Rail Defect Detector, North Lead, over...".
Chris
For the record, Express Rail is not E-Rail. Express Rail is the Elizabeth Marine Terminal, and E-Rail is the NS van site at east side of the old E-port Yard.

A)This detector has been in place but out of service for a while. It was orginally placed in service when the Bergen tunnel was enlarged and the High Car Dector at CP-Green removed from service. It was though that if the HCD caught the car before it left Port Newark all would be right in the world. There also is a HCD on the PNCT lead, although I think this is still OOS.
B) Both EZMT, and PNCT have private contractors that preform the Initial Terminal Tests on the tracks at each location, and as far as I know, provide a brake slip as such. This has gone on since the CR split I beleive.
Vince, are the radio transmissions recorded by the railroad like in air traffic control? Just curious.
 #1116517  by wolfboy8171981

Ken W2KB wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:
Chris

Vince, are the radio transmissions recorded by the railroad like in air traffic control? Just curious.
Yes. Radio, Phones, and Block Lines are recorded and kept for a set period of time. I want to say 7 to 10 days before they are recorded over, but that may not be right, it might be longer.
 #1116653  by RailsEast

Interesting stuff; much obliged, Wolf.....

Chris