Railroad Forums 

• Dynamic brakes on HO scale NYC GP7 5688??

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#21983  by DocJohn

Have just received HO-scale model of NYC GP7 #5688. Engine is Life-Like P2K. Engine shell has dynamic brake fan, but do not remember NYC GP7s having dynamic brakes although there weren't many on the River Division when I was growing up. Would appreciate clarification. Also, what horns were used on these diesels?

John
Macon, GA

#22050  by NYC-BKO

John,

NYC Class DRS-4h # 5686-5708 built 3/4 - 1952 were equipped with dynamic brakes and the winterization hatch. Order # 5104 builders # 15460-15482.

Heres a photo link: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc5687ads.jpg
Last edited by NYC-BKO on Thu May 27, 2004 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #22059  by DocJohn

Brian, thank you very much for the link to the picture and the engine class data. Looks like LL has done a very good good on replicating the original. LL also provided a detail kit that included the winterization hatch. How did the hatch work?

John

#22595  by NYC-BKO

John,

There was a lever on the side of the hatch that they flipped over in the winter. It closed the hatch so that the air recirculated back through the radiators to keep the engine water hot in cold weather. Diesel engines don't run well if the water temp. is below 180 degrees.

#23775  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

What other NYC diesel power (aside from the obvious GP40s) were delivered with dynamic brakes?

#24022  by NYC-BKO

Well Roscoe here we go,

C430, U30B, GP40, U28B 2822,2823, U25B, GP7 Class DRS4H, CFA/B 16-4, FA/B-2, CFA/B 20-4, FM Erie Builts, FA/B-1, F7-A/B, F3-A/B, I'm not sure if the F-2 & FT's had them.

I think that's all. Hope this helps. :D

#24079  by tocfan

One GP35, I believe the number was 2399, also had dynamic brakes.

Mike Fleming

#24118  by NYC-BKO

You're right Mike,
I forgot about that one, #6155 was the Worlds Fair demo bought by NYC, had dynamics, later #2399

#24155  by trlinkcaso

The FT's and F2's did have dynamic brakes, also the Baldwin sharks and the baby face units had them. The PA1's did not, yet the PA2's did. Also the passenger Erie Builts and passenger F3's did not, while the freight versions did.

#24208  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

I find it strange that the U25Bs did, but other units from that era (GP20, GP30, GP35) did not. Anybody know what the rationalization was as to why the lack of conformity from one builder to the next in the same era?

#24241  by NYC-BKO

Thanks Terry,
My book didn't say and wasn't going to assume they did, even though most units of that time came with them.

#24509  by mel

The shutters next to the cab were
manual and opeated from inside the
cab a lever on each side.These plates were removed in warm weather
If you look on top of the unit you will see a cover over the second fan,this was also part of the
winterization kit.The reason this was done was because the units were designed to run short nose in the
lead.In the winter without this
it was like an icebox unless you were backing up.In the summer you could not shut the heat off and running long nose ahead you roasted
If you look just behind the dynamic
above the side doors you will see the horn. There was one horn facing
forward ,the long end, and one on the fireman's side facing to the rear ,short end. In the cab was two whistle cords , one for each direction.I think the middle 5700'
had the group horns on top.
When they started the road switcher
style body with GM there was a period when the dynamic came extra
and the NYC being the water level
route did not need them.GE included
them with their units and as time passed both companies included them
on all units.mel
 #24612  by DocJohn

Thank you for all the information on the NYC GP-7s. One more question: How come the GP-7s were, for the most part, kept off the River Division? As I remember when I was growing up on Haworth and Closter, most passenger trains had ALCO RS-2s and RS-3s except for the Dumont locals, which had Baldwins.

Doc John
Macon, GA

#24623  by NYC-BKO

To the best of my knowledge, when NYC dieselized they tended to keep like manufacturers concentrated in the same area, As a general rule, EMD, LIMA & FM's were Lines West while Alco and Baldwins were Lines East. This was to keep them near their builders site plus shop forces would be familiar with only a few makes instead of them all. This was until the mid fifties when Collinwood became the melting pot of diesels and any make roamed the system. I hope my info is correct as I can remember!