Railroad Forums 

• Does NYA still operate freight on the babylon branch?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1134775  by peanut1

Hello,
I have been seeing this from my apartment during the week usually between 12:30 and 2:00pm. Their is an NYA freight train that comes off the babylon central branch and stops halfway up the Babylon Branch on the westbound track with a load. The engines always detach and come through babylon with no load. They then head back west the same engines to pick up the load they left down the line and head back down the babylon central branch for the main line. Does anybody know where this train is heading and what it's hauling? Last time I was able to see it was GATX cars filled with garbage. A couple days ago it had some boxcars on the rear. Does NYA still have anything East of Babylon that they still serve? I know 84 lumber in patchouge is gone.
 #1134805  by RRJS3

The train you are seeing is the RS40, which serves all customers located on the Central Branch. The biggest customers, One World Recycling and Nicolock Pavers, are located in Lindenhurst. Believe a lumber customer gets an occasional centerbeam in the same vicinity. One World gets switched pretty much on a daily basis, usually anywhere between 8-12 car loads of trash. Inter County Bakers also gets several cars a week, as does Amco Plastics. All except Amco are served on the eastbound run. The crew usually gets to Babylon around 1 PM and heads back west for Fresh Pond after 2707 clears.

EDIT: video of said train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_yAAGk7Xk

Could be wrong, but I believe a separate crew usually does the runs east of Babylon when they do run out there (once a month, if that). As far as I know, Pulver Gas in Bridgehampton is the only active customer left on this line. Anyone know if Velvetop is still getting cars?