Railroad Forums 

• Does anybody know how to find old NYC accident reports?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#560619  by krug138

A friend is trying to research the death of his great grandfather and is wondering if old New York Cental accident reports still exist, and if so, where and are they available to the public? If anyone has any information about this I'd really appreciate it. We know the great-grandfather's name is Donato Sandonato, and he was struck by a NY Central train at 4:10 pm on December 24th, 1909 in Niagara Falls, NY at the Sugar Street Crossing.
Thanks for any potential information to assist the search!
 #560953  by shlustig

Federal ICC Accident Investigation reports began in 1911 and would not have covered an incident of this type.

Railroad records from that era were of the lines former identities ( LS&MS, MC, BIG 4) and no longer exist.

Your best bet would be the local newspaper or library files.

Hope this helps.
 #561086  by bridpath

1911 - 1993
Choose year to view drop down list
Look for railroad
Can probably search, too, although I've just browsed

http://dotlibrary1.specialcollection.ne ... _railroads

Oops. Just noticed requested date. My apology. A good general resource but no use for this specific request.

Bob

(Edit for date)