The DL&W had their large "East Buffalo Yard"..
(the NYC and the Erie also had yards they called "East Buffalo Yard")
the DL&W's yard evolved into what is today Bison Yard.
here is a large map that shows it:
http://railsandtrails.com/Maps/Buffalo/ ... ap-100.jpg
North of the LV and Erie, and south of the NYC's Frontier yard.
DL&W had a large roundhouse..not sure about shop buildings.
Today Bison yard is Norfolk Southern's main yard in Buffalo..
the yard itself is originally DL&W, then EL, but not Erie..
It attaches to the "Southern Tier Main" which was Erie, then EL, but not DL&W..
traveling East out of Buffalo, NS uses the Erie tracks for the most part, part of the old DL&W mainline is used by the Lancaster division
of the Depew, Lancaster & Western Railroad, in the Depew Area..then the DL&W tracks are gone (and torn up) East of Walter Winter Drive.
1882 - DL&W arrives in Buffalo, begins their East Buffalo Yard.
1960 - DL&W and Erie merge to form EL.
1963 - EL & Nickel Plate jointly open and operate Bison Yard, a new and modern classification yard, on the site of the old DL&W yard.
1976 - EL becomes part of Conrail.
1983 - Conrail abandons Bison yard, instead using nearby Frontier Yard (originally New York Central)
1999 - Norfolk Southern inherits the site from Conrail, and re-opens the yard. (CSX got Frontier Yard in the Conrail split)
Today Bison yard isnt as big as it once was, much of the yard trackage has been removed..
but it lives on as Norfolk Southern's main yard and base of operations for Buffalo..