Railroad Forums 

• DL&W Passenger train consists with foreign road equipmen

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#36022  by livesteamer

Here's a tough one for the real serious Lackawanna fans. While viewing vintage filn (on video) from Mark I, I noticed several trains that had foreign road passenger equipment. The Nickel Plate, Erie and sometimes Pennsy equipment seems to make some sense. But, can anyone explain why the Lackawanna would have had UP, Southern and Southern Pacific equipment in trains passing through the Denville?. I can not be sure but the equipment may have been Pullmans and if that's the case, it might make sense.
 #36070  by henry6

quite often...sometimes Pullman or Mail or REA would be "substituting" or deadheading. There were moves to and from Tobyhanna, though unsual eastbound, where stored Pullman cars were used for Signal Corps set up and dismantling of stations and equipment. NKP was Chicago sleeper on numbers 7 west and 8 east with a coach east on 2. Erie cars appeared with the advent of the merger. Most unusual Pullman car remembered was UP's "Lake Hopactcong" I believe in an easbound move on either 8 or 2.

#36161  by livesteamer

Okay,

Appreciate such a quick resonse.

Question: Was the UP car part of some run thru agreement that headed toward the west? Transfer of this car in Chicago would have been a nightmare if one is to assume that this car made its way back to Dearborn and had to be transfer to the CNW's Station.

#36191  by henry6

UP car was a fluke, either a deadhead, an extra move, or subsitution. I only saw it once. But basically, Pullman cars were assigned to trains, or corridors so the same cars usually showed up on the same runs in a given turn around pattern. There are several books available on sleeper and the Pullman Company which can tell you a lot more.

#36233  by livesteamer

Hey henry6,

Are you a former Lackawanna employee or just a serious fan?

#36439  by henry6

FAN(atic)

#36448  by livesteamer

My granddad spent for the 46 years with Lackawanna as towerman and trin dispatcher out of Hoboken-he retired in early 60's
 #36458  by henry6

knew a Harrison in train service on the Hoboken Div. out of Denville, I believe.

#36560  by livesteamer

Granddad's name was L.T.O'Neill; uncle by name of O'Neill was Hoboken stationmaster in the 50s; another uncle (Paul Harrington was handled mail contracts in the Hoboken Terminal
 #36592  by henry6

Peg! I even met him!!! Had a tour of Hoboken one afternoon and he was 'spatchin. I grew up in Denville and knew quite a few of the dispatchers and towermen. Howard Oakley, Cisco, Kopeneous dispatchers, Jim Morris, Joe Monehan, Walt Helriegle, Jack Swinson and others in the towers...plus agents Wil Large, Clarance Gratton, and Vanorden and a whole trainload of engineers, trainmen, etc. I loved to be in Denville or Dover towers and listen to the dispatachers' lines and how the railroad was operated. Peg was a favorite to listen to!

#36721  by livesteamer

Please contact me at [email protected]. My summer nights were spent in either the Denville Tower or in the Dover Tower watching the evening MU parade. I know nearly every name on your list.

#44983  by Dieter

I believe they had through service with the WABASH as well, but to points I don't know. The Lackawanna shared a terminal in Buffalo with The Wabash.

I've also seen pictures of Lackawanna sleepers, baggage and RPO's on Wabash and C&O trains.

Dieter.
 #45052  by henry6

I don't believe they ever had trough service with Wabash...never saw a Wabash car, don't remember seeing any thing in any timetable about through cars via Wabash. NKP and NYC only west of Buffalo.

#45409  by Dieter

What about Canadian roads?

Dieter.
 #45434  by henry6

I never saw any Canadian stuff on the DL in Jersey. Mainly #2 had an NKP coach while 7&8 had the NKP sleeper. The westbound NKP coach was possibly on 15 or also on 7, not sure without looking it up later.