Railroad Forums 

• Detours to likely return later this summer......

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#119670  by rcbsd45

I had the opportunity to talk to one of our CSX track department foreman this week and we were discussing any plans for another major trackwork blitz like last year. He indicated that there are plans for a major 3 to 5 week period of trackwork, including ties, ballast, tamping and rail and switch changeouts with several long standing track defects on the River Line to be addressed, as we now have 13 temporary slow orders on the railroad, one of which dates back to last June, with the bulk having been put in place over the past few months. He did not indicate a specific timetable for the work, but indicated that this supervisors are looking at aperiood between early June and late July, and said it would mirror the work performed last year. This, on the surface, would indicate the real prospect of detour trains over the NYS&W again this year. As we are running more traffic than last year(and the overnight period is incredibly busy already), detours seem to be a realistic possibility. As they say, stay tuned, and I will endeavor to get more info as it becomes available, but don't be surprised if we have a repeat of last summer. BTW, the track foreman I talked to is a bit of a railfan and he mentioned the possibility of detours even before I could, so who knows.....

#120271  by trainfreak

Well this will be one heck of a detour period. With those long 99's i would think that they will run double westbounds on days when we have detours and regular 99's. Maybe even double eastbounds with the longer 100's weve been getting. However it should be a good watch especially with the circus in Butler last night...137 cars and 5 locomotives...they thought that would make the hill....the 99 from last sunday had enough trouble with 5 locomotives and 91 cars. I wish i was in butler last night to just watch the traffic build up at Park Place.

#120373  by Lackawanna484

trainfreak wrote:...they thought that would make the hill....the 99 from last sunday had enough trouble with 5 locomotives and 91 cars. I wish i was in butler last night to just watch the traffic build up at Park Place.
Don't know if it's still the practice, but NYSW would usually give Pompton, Riverdale, and Butler etc PD heads up for an extra long, or extra slow movements. You'd usually hear the local patrol officers / first aiders get the info on the radio, and have the right number of people on each side of the tracks.