Railroad Forums 

• Delaware Coast Line Railway

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#965867  by R,N, Nelson

I plan to be there next week and if no one else posts in the mean time, Ill look and see and let you know. There was a tornado on the ground not too far from it , just west of Lewes, buy my guess is that the bridge is okay.
 #965997  by Teutobergerwald

I wonder if DCL went and pulled any tankcars or covered hoppers out of SPI Pharma in Lewes prior to the hurricane???
 #1037802  by Teutobergerwald

I hope DCL uses one of the classic Alco's / MLW's for this move, along with the caboose- all freshly washed.....showing DCL isn't just a life-size model railroad with classic Alco power, but a carrier that can haul more than just 17,360-gal. capacity HOKX tankcars and UTCX covered hoppers to SPI-Pharma in Lewes.
 #1046976  by RockGp40

Just got word from a friend on FB that NS is inspecting three passenger cars (old dinner train?) on the DCL. They are to be interchanged out from Georgetown to NS in the near future. I think they are destined for rehab in Ohio but don't quote me on that. Word has it they are restenciled with new reporting marks too.
 #1047040  by RailVet

I rode in one of those cars on an excursion from Lewes to Georgetown and back in November 2004. There was supposed to be a big post-election day celebration in Georgetown but it started raining shortly after leaving Lewes and for the rest of the day it was coming down cats and dogs. I recall someone on the DCL telling me the cars were owned by a third party out of state but I don't know who it was.
 #1047086  by Teutobergerwald

Great to see renewed activity on the DCL thread. Anything about this "full-scale model railroad" & it's Alco/MLW-heavy roster is most welcome, as are pictures. Keep them coming, lads!!!
 #1059068  by Teutobergerwald

Will be down by Lewes in a couple of weeks & hope to catch the DCL making the run out to SPI Pharma. Which day & time are my best bet for catching them there? Thanks.
 #1129171  by gpp111

The Delaware Atlantic shore generally escaped the wrath of Sandy. There was some high water in the bays, but I would think the railroad did just fine during the storm. Maybe a tree or two fell on the tracks, but that would probably be the extent of the impact. I have a house down in that area, it was surprising how well the area did during the storm. The wind gusts never really exceeded 50 miles per hour or so ( I was watching this through the night) and came out of the west, which seemed to have reduced wave height, but did cause some battering of homes on the east side of any bays.