Railroad Forums 

• Death Train Pushing Into Conoco - Torrence, CA

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#639889  by erielackawanna

Shortly before I took this shot of "The Torrance," a UP local that works this ex Pacific Electric line, the conductor jumped off the train and came up to me and said, "so you like the Torrance Death Train?"

Here it's seen pushing into Conoco, next to the huge aggregate conveyer that belongs to Ready Mix Concrete.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=272006

Thanks for looking.

Charles Freericks
 #640339  by 3rdrail

Why do they call it the death train ?
 #640357  by erielackawanna

3rdrail wrote:Why do they call it the death train ?
You couldn't have had better timing... because just about the same time you posted, I found out that it's the Conductor's personal nickname for the train. Apparently it's a very plum job, and basically one of the old heads has to die for anyone to get a chance at it.
 #640652  by tj48

Looks like that nice new Genset has been found by a local "urban artist".